Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st August 2019, 10:32 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adam Marriott

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Powell View Post
Search though I might I have failed to find a definitive formula, I do remember that every inch of width of flatbelt will safely transmit a given horsepower depending on the surface speed of the driving pulley. with a maximum limit.
My small Southbend lathe has a 1inch wide flatbelt driving it and it will , providing it is fairly tight, transmit all my I hp motor will put out.
I seem to remember that a rule of thumb for 4 ft 6 flywheels at about 150 rpm is that one inch width of belt will safely transmit up to 10 brake horse power.
It is over 50 years since I saw Boadicea. I seem to remember she had about 8inches of belt width on the flywheel.
Please can anyone give more information about this formula.
Regards David Powell.
rule of thumb for flat belts i was told was 10hp per inch width hence a 5 inch belt 50bhp, 6 inch 60bhp etc, giving a saftey factor built in when you look at a large showmans like the leader with an 8 inch belt putting out 500 amps at max chat.
sawing on a large rack bench would be considerably more hard work than a steady load like threshing which a 54 inch would be about 25 bhp, with a baler or chaff cutter added that would run up to 35 or 40 bhp but again on the belt and well within the normal working limit of the engine.