Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th May 2022, 04:16 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Bill Starling
Default Dort in Stoom, May 2022

Billed as "The biggest steam event in Europe" - though I did see some reference to "The biggest free steam event ..." - this was the first time it had been held since 2018. Previously there has been a large contingent of full size and miniature engines from the UK. However most of the engine owners I have spoken to felt that the bureaucracy and red tape imposed on us by Brexit now made it too much hassle. Sadly this works both ways and a Dutch owner, who has regularly brought their engine over to our rallies, said they were only coming as a spectator this year.
Never the less it was a wonderful spectacle, with engines displayed round the picturesque port area of Dordrecht.
(As usual, I offer a flavour - not a comprehensive report.)

Although many were static during the day, some were at work. This Marshall was powering a band saw producing wooden blocks ...

for a clog making machine ...

driven by a Lanz portable.

This Ransomes, Sims & Jeffries was noisily cutting planks on a saw bench.

At the end of each day, the engines 'processed' back to their over night accommodation.
Here are three Avelings:

Not many full sized Burrells, but here's a half size road loco:

A Fowler roller plus a tractor:

A Ruthemeyer SCC roller.

I didn't manage to speak to the owner of this Foden, but it seemed to be called a full size model in the program.

One English entry did brave the bureaucrats. The Webb family from Suffolk with their beautiful Stanley steamer. Hope you got home all right.

Another Stanley was this delightfully named 'Mountain Wagon', preceeded here by one of the several marching bands.

A much travelled 3 ton Wallis.

A Garrett Showman's Tractor.

I think this Kemna has also been over to UK rallies.

More miniatures going home for the night.

A well attended Shand Mason pump.

It wouldn't be a proper Dutch event without street organs - here's one:

There were also many steam tugs, giving rides on Dordrecht's major, commercial river. Their beautiful compound and triple expansion engines were not easy to photograph though.
Altogether a fascinating event and worth the effort of going there. There are already a number of good videos of it on youtube.
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th May 2022, 07:52 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Rob Dickinson

Thanks for this, we went in 2018 and the pictures brought back some fond memories. There were four British engines and I am sure they will have been missed as will the continental engines that no longer make the reverse journey. All totally and sadly predictable.
The steam boats were really the stars of the show but there were steam locomotives running a shuttle then and I guess this time as well.
I'm really glad we made the effort but even though the show was free, it was the most expensive steam weekend we've ever had.