Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th July 2011, 08:10 PM
Engineer

Full Name: David Bloor
Default Cheshire Steam Fair 2011

We went today, the weather held up and it turned out to be a great day. We are always grateful for the hospitality we are afforded by the engine owners when we attend rallies. Today we met Map Reader and his family for the first time. The highlight for me was the Foden Wagon in WD livery. We spent some time with Buzzy Bee comparing the differences between it and Cheshire Pride and Dave found quite a few.

#2  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th July 2011, 08:19 PM
Engineer

Full Name: ian morris

good to see the 4" Case is back on the field

Ian
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th July 2011, 12:28 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Matt Gilby

David, were you by any chance one of the group there when the WD Foden Owner demonstrated the interesting worm mechanism for raising the bed, and showed said group the water tank ( i heard something about breathers mentioned)

if so, I was the guy in the green raincoat standing behind you - if i had known I would have said hello!

here are a few of my better pics (sorry about the quality but I had to rely on my iphone camera today)

http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/h...eshire%202011/

for some reason photobucket has put them all out of sequence but there are a few good traction ones in there, especially the closeups
- 2005 Range Rover V8 - now fixed
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th July 2011, 08:08 AM
Engineer

No, I had moved on by then. From your video it looks like the 'Cheshire Pride' lads having a closer look. I'll check my photo's looking for a man in a green mac.
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th July 2011, 08:21 AM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Does the back on Gleaveie's Foden tip?

The dint in the wheel rim always makes me smile. Who says cast Iron doesn't bend?

The tipping gear on Mr Wilkinsons Foden (the WD one) is fabulous, it is so low geared that if you want to raise the body by an inch it is easy.

I suspect the group looking at the water tank were discussing how to get water in the tank, the original as built arrangement on the WD Foden is only via the White's water lifter. This means you need to pour the water in the suction connection on the lifter. So if the 'water man's' hose is bigger than a garden hose it is very difficult to fill up without spillage, and this is made worse as the tank doesnt appear to breath very well (let the displaced air about).

What it wants is a 3 inch hole in the top of the tank, bunged up with a threaded plug that is all hidden when the body is down. You would have to raise the body to fill up, but it would be far easier.
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th July 2011, 01:19 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Trystan Jones

Alan Thwaites's GND looks very shiny in it's new colour scheme.
Any more pics of it??
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th July 2011, 05:14 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Dave Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8_10 Brass Cleaner View Post
Does the back on Gleaveie's Foden tip?

The dint in the wheel rim always makes me smile. Who says cast Iron doesn't bend?

The tipping gear on Mr Wilkinsons Foden (the WD one) is fabulous, it is so low geared that if you want to raise the body by an inch it is easy.

I suspect the group looking at the water tank were discussing how to get water in the tank, the original as built arrangement on the WD Foden is only via the White's water lifter. This means you need to pour the water in the suction connection on the lifter. So if the 'water man's' hose is bigger than a garden hose it is very difficult to fill up without spillage, and this is made worse as the tank doesnt appear to breath very well (let the displaced air about).

What it wants is a 3 inch hole in the top of the tank, bunged up with a threaded plug that is all hidden when the body is down. You would have to raise the body to fill up, but it would be far easier.
Hi

We were discussing just that, the filling through the suction end, you have to go very slow as to not allow it to back up, and we were saying an inlet in the tank top to fill through would be advantagous. To save the bother of belting up and lifting the body to fill the tank with water, a simple trap door in the rear bed floor is all that is needed. Can't comment on it breathing badly, but it has a fair sized breather on it.

There are a few nice differences, but I will leave them to be guessed at, don't want to spoil the fun, Some more obvious than others! hehe

The body on Cheshire Pride was at one time a tipper yes, but is fixed now, and it has been shortened too.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited by buzzy bee; 11th July 2011 at 05:28 PM..
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th July 2011, 09:06 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pirate View Post
Alan Thwaites's GND looks very shiny in it's new colour scheme.
Any more pics of it??
Here are a few more:

#9  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th July 2011, 10:23 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Matt Gilby

I too was having a look at that GND and it was rather smart indeed. I also noticed that during the arena parades, the young driver seemed to look almost bored !!
I assume that after a while the novelty of driving an engine wears off compared to the work of keeping it in steam
- 2005 Range Rover V8 - now fixed
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 12th July 2011, 12:03 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Trystan Jones

Thank you Mr Bloor.
Another of the engines I had a small part to do with. Nice to see the finished result.