Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > Wanted Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Wanted Adverts Steam items and equipment Wanted.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th April 2020, 11:06 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Jonathan Wheeler
Default 1 3/4" diameter double beat governor valve wanted

For fear this may get buried on my other 'wanted' thread:-

Has anyone got a 1.3/4" diameter double beat Pickering type governor valve bobbin going spare please.

Anything considered as I can make the seats to suit.

Even a 2" diameter valve bobbin may do or WHY?

Many thanks in advance

JW
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st May 2020, 06:18 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Craig Colledge

Dave Ragsdale cast two new ones for me and John Dunn machined them. I cannot remember what size they were now. I will have a look as I havnt fitted one of the new ones as yet, but I will be shortly. But I will have the original somewhere what the patterns were taken off. John also made the seats for both engines as well
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st May 2020, 07:49 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Craig Colledge

Jonathan, I've just been down the shed and dug the old valve and the new valve out. The old one is 1 and a 1/2 inch and the new one is 1 and 3/4 of an inch. Then I had the light bulb moment. I remember now the 1 and 1/2 inch came with an old set of governors and was not the pattern. I remember now I was loaned the original blue prints for the Pickering steam governors including valve and seats which I was allowed to copy. I must of given Dave a copy and then he cast me two valves. I then gave them to John who machined them up and also made the seats. Dave must then have the pattern he made off my drawings for a 1 and 3/4 inch valve. I have just taken a photo of both valves, side by side if it helps.
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 2nd May 2020, 02:52 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Jonathan Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigctt View Post
Jonathan, I've just been down the shed and dug the old valve and the new valve out. The old one is 1 and a 1/2 inch and the new one is 1 and 3/4 of an inch. Then I had the light bulb moment. I remember now the 1 and 1/2 inch came with an old set of governors and was not the pattern. I remember now I was loaned the original blue prints for the Pickering steam governors including valve and seats which I was allowed to copy. I must of given Dave a copy and then he cast me two valves. I then gave them to John who machined them up and also made the seats. Dave must then have the pattern he made off my drawings for a 1 and 3/4 inch valve. I have just taken a photo of both valves, side by side if it helps.
I’ll contact Dave Ragsdale. Under current restrictions may take a while to get a casting made however...

Thanks for your help Craig