Engineer

Full Name: David Bloor
Default Smallwood 2010

#2  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st May 2010, 03:43 PM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

David, did you go yesterday? We went this morning for a look

You missed by far the nicest minature there, in the model tent, a 3inch 6 ton Foden. A real model, not one of the plethora of poor approximations. And not a wheelbarrow wheel in site.

Also interesting to me, a Thornycroft J Type 3 ton Subsidy truck from the Great War. We used to have bits for one.

And lastly, another jem, I think a pre Great War '4 Mule Team' Associated Engine, in original Paint. I have a slightly later 3 mule version, also mostly in its original paint.
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st May 2010, 05:44 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8_10 Brass Cleaner View Post
David, did you go yesterday? We went this morning for a look

You missed by far the nicest minature there, in the model tent, a 3inch 6 ton Foden. A real model, not one of the plethora of poor approximations. And not a wheelbarrow wheel in site.
Yes, we went yesterday. Almost went again today. I saw the 3 inch in the tent. I've seen it before so did not take another photo. It's a real beauty.

In the same tent there was an elderly gentleman in the corner with some small home made models. He is an ex-Foden employee, now about 80 years old. He had a story to tell about every model he had made relating to his worklife. I was spellbound. I asked if he had written it down. He said he has and his daughter has it. I hope it survives.

My favourite was the Kendrick S21. I've just sent the owner some photo's I took of it. I've also found 10 Foden publicity photo's of the same type of truck from 1960's for him. A really nice chap. He let me get into the cab. Wonderful.

I also met Bryn Mallion and Suzukiman - How good can it get
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st May 2010, 05:52 PM
Engineer

Did you see the 6inch scale Tasker A1?.

Another proper model. The guy and his mate measured up the real thing, got the works drawings made the patterns and built the lot, perhaps save the boiler. His mates is still on the go.

He had a go on the real thing at Bridgemere a couple of years ago, it made his day.
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:15 AM
Engineer

Full Name: neil hutchinson
Default Foden

Whats the number of the Foden single
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:13 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61299 View Post
whats the number of the foden single
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:27 PM
Engineer

Full Name: RobertBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidje View Post
What is the history behind this engine & the Fowler 9187, two engines I have not come across on my travels?
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 2nd June 2010, 08:07 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Andrew Bradbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert The Bruce View Post
What is the history behind this engine & the Fowler 9187, two engines I have not come across on my travels?
Both are ex Tasmania (with permits).

The Fowler was truly desperate, the weigh shaft bracket had been smashed and rivetted back together to keep her going, there was not an ounce of brass left on it, front axle was bent the wheel bearings had all seen better days and the gears were of more use for shaving than driving. She had the standard repairs (box, tube plate, tender etc) the strakes virtually fell off on the low loader on the way back home.

Des and Terry have a sign board that usually goes with them high lighting her Tasmanian history and including a picture of her derelict in Tasmania. The only thing they did not refit was the wood rack (they still have it though). On the day she first had a fire in her back in the northern hemisphere we celebrated with a bottle of Boags

All in all it was a mamoth task to get her back in steam and a real credit to them and Will.
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:19 AM
Engineer

Full Name: neil hutchinson
Default Foden

Thanks most of us know when they dissapear with paper work. It just a shame we don't get to see them or buy them before hand but thats another story.Was just wondering as there is still two other singles to turn up again.

Last edited by 61299; 3rd June 2010 at 10:33 AM..
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd June 2010, 01:59 PM
Engineer

Which singles Neil?,

I suspect both came here with the owner of 2261?

One was a real basket case, you boys on the wrong end of the world really know how to get your moneysworth out of engines!. That one is now with a gent who has amassed quite a collection, and I suspect it is in the que, probably behind another Foden, Mr Corry's old machine.

The other, in much better order has not long been sold, and I believe the current owner may well be a TT member. I was lead to believe second hand, that with some moderate boilerwork it would be a runner as is. I saw a number of pictures, but not the machine itself. It looked a tidy machine.