Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#11  Post / In Thread 
Old 2nd June 2010, 08:05 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Anthony Lister

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidner View Post
Er , well , no .

Quite apart from anything else , the proportions are wrong , and it is interesting to work out how and why .
It's not too late Bob....
  #12  Post / In Thread 
Old 7th June 2010, 08:23 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Phil Hancock

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggeroff View Post
Seen it today, it looks very good and the owner is very pleased with his engine and dosent give a shit what people say or think.

Chris.
What a lovely attitude to have towards people who care about things being preserved rather than destroyed for a quick profit.
  #13  Post / In Thread 
Old 7th June 2010, 08:52 PM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
Its a lady boy
There was one of those selling fudge at Shrewsbury at the weekend!.

It wasnt a very good conversion either.
  #14  Post / In Thread 
Old 7th June 2010, 10:33 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Mike Rule

And having destroyed a rare and important part of heritage,lets take it back to the county it was built and show it off in its newly f..ked up form. WHY??????
The most blatant case of mindless destruction to contaminate a rally field for many years.........YUK.
  #15  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th June 2010, 11:30 AM
Engineer

Full Name: mike m

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1882 View Post
Im amazed with all these DNB conversions there are that noone has actualy mannaged to make one look like a proper showmans engine.
Is it just me or dose it look identicle to Turners one, Galaxy and Sovereign?
To be honest, Royal Sovereign actually looks really good. Its probably the best one I have seen that has been converted.
  #16  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th June 2010, 03:51 PM
Engineer

Full Name: C. J. Arrowsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
To be honest, Royal Sovereign actually looks really good. Its probably the best one I have seen that has been converted.
Bollox dose it
  #17  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th June 2010, 04:10 PM
Engineer

Full Name: james peter brett
Location: Loddon, Norfolk & Nassington East Northamptonshire.
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
To be honest, Royal Sovereign actually looks really good. It’s probably the best one I have seen that has been converted.
I have yet to see a showler that looks anything like "good" they are all crap, and a complete disregard for authentic exhibits and true preservation, and in no way offers any form of conservation. Quite historically degrading!

If the owner wanted a contrivance like that, why not buy one, there’s a few for sale, Preston’s have been trying to sell the Tabors old one for some time!

What will be next? a Aveling compound SV roller, cut about to have a winch drum under the boiler, and front wheels and traction engine type smoke box to be passed off as a ploughing engine? If the engines in question had be nothing put a pile of scrap, say with the rolls/forks missing then I prob wouldn’t be against them being made into something new, as there was prob little hope of the being restored easily to their original format, but to cut a historically important artifact about, and to smother it in makeup and pass it off for a piece of crap is degrading!

Like wise, people passing of their gorgeous 8NHP showman’s and road locos off on paper as 10NHP. perhaps these people (who seem to do it to boost their ego) should research the build history of their steed a bit more and learn to appreciate genuine traction engine (and British engineering) history a bit more!

(When we preserve our heritage, we protect our future!)

Lord Brett, Bygones Manor, Chedgrave, Loddon, Norwich, Norfolk

Last edited by jamespeterbrett; 9th June 2010 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: missed the word history out
  #18  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th June 2010, 04:58 PM
Engineer

Full Name: stephen bullman

It's a funny old thing, but to me even original Fowler tractors look like converted rollers, how 'common' were the major components to each type?
  #19  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th June 2010, 05:40 PM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the highwayman View Post
It's a funny old thing, but to me even original Fowler tractors look like converted rollers, how 'common' were the major components to each type?
In terms of the T3 type, probably only the boiler, cylinder and crankshaft.

The rest is considerably different. Not even the motion is the same.

Similar story for the DNA type.

No DNB 'tractors' were ever made.

Early D2's were similar, sharing most components with the Traction Engine type, but not many with the Road Loco type.
  #20  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th June 2010, 11:43 AM
Engineer

Full Name: mike m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespeterbrett View Post
I have yet to see a showler that looks anything like "good" they are all crap, and a complete disregard for authentic exhibits and true preservation, and in no way offers any form of conservation. Quite historically degrading!

If the owner wanted a contrivance like that, why not buy one, there’s a few for sale, Preston’s have been trying to sell the Tabors old one for some time!

What will be next? a Aveling compound SV roller, cut about to have a winch drum under the boiler, and front wheels and traction engine type smoke box to be passed off as a ploughing engine? If the engines in question had be nothing put a pile of scrap, say with the rolls/forks missing then I prob wouldn’t be against them being made into something new, as there was prob little hope of the being restored easily to their original format, but to cut a historically important artifact about, and to smother it in makeup and pass it off for a piece of crap is degrading!

Like wise, people passing of their gorgeous 8NHP showman’s and road locos off on paper as 10NHP. perhaps these people (who seem to do it to boost their ego) should research the build history of their steed a bit more and learn to appreciate genuine traction engine (and British engineering) history a bit more!

James, I did have a quiet chuckle to myself with regard to your statement about true preservation and your last sentence about how people should research build history. ISTR reading an factually incorrect article by your self on another forum about the history of a famous Lincolnshire based company. A sure case of the Pot calling the Kettle.