Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 2nd August 2022, 09:13 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Michael James
Default Welland # 2

Here are a few photos taken at Welland on Saturday (30th July 2022).

As usual, the pictures have not been edited in any way, other than cropping to improve the composition. They are all over exposed to show some level of detail in the dark areas. It was a dull day and the photos are something of a compromise - I hope members of T-T still enjoy them though.

The site now includes a "play pen", with engines and lorries doing their haulage stuff. It includes a steep climb and the sounds, which could be heard all over the rally field, coming from the chimneys of various traction engines was absolutely wonderful.

I met up with several friends and the topic for discussion was "...how long were you in the queue to get in?" I arrived mid/late morning and sat in a queue for about one hour; my friends queued for around two hours.

I take my hat off to anyone who is involved with organising an event, it seems to be a pretty thankless task. Given that the ultimate goal for an event is to increase visitor numbers - or at least maintain visitor numbers so that their event does not go into decline, I feel the organisers need to address the issue of how long it takes to get in. The matter obviously causes much frustration to all involved, whether they are rally visitors or local residents - and this is not good for the future of rallies. For myself, the delay messed up my carefully calculated medication regime. I wasn't able to get back to where I wanted to be in terms of medication, so I left earlier than planned.

Other than the problems written of above, it is a very good show. Lots of engines, plus tractors, all sorts of old cars and old lorries. There was a display of old pedal bicycles which has given me an idea for a new pencil drawing.

Michael