Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > Wanted Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Wanted Adverts Steam items and equipment Wanted.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th October 2008, 10:11 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Malcolm Young
Lightbulb Bridgeport Slotting Head Tooling.

I am looking for any tooling for my Bridgeport slotting head. They have a 5/8" dia. shank.

Malc.
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th October 2008, 08:53 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adrian Menear

It shouldn't be to difficult to make the tooling as you require it, it's not often tools are seen for sale.
I've been looking for one of these slotters myself, but they seem to be fetching rather a lot.
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th October 2008, 09:29 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Malcolm Young
Lightbulb

I have just seen set of 10 slotter tools for sale on ebay (USA) for $625!! This is the 'buy it now' price for a new set. They seem to be rarer than hen's teeth over here though. I have been thinking of grinding some from 5/8" tool steel as and when required but thought I'd try an ad on here on the off-chance that someone may have some.
I bought the slotting head for less than £300 on ebay. It looks as though it has never been used. The small engineering business that I bought it from said they had never used it because they didn't have any tooling for it!

Malc.
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st October 2008, 05:47 PM
Engineer

Full Name: RICHARD PERCIVAL

Malc
We run a couple of slotters commercially and the only purpose made tooling we have ever found is by
IMPERO an Italian firm,my only contact in the uk is CIS at Eaton Socon near St Neots 01480 225850
this tooling is wonderful for straight foward work but about half the time we use a bit of HSS or carbide cross ways through a selection of home made bars. hope this helps
all the best Percy
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st October 2008, 07:48 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adrian Menear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc-Y View Post
I have just seen set of 10 slotter tools for sale on ebay (USA) for $625!! This is the 'buy it now' price for a new set. They seem to be rarer than hen's teeth over here though. I have been thinking of grinding some from 5/8" tool steel as and when required but thought I'd try an ad on here on the off-chance that someone may have some.
I bought the slotting head for less than £300 on ebay. It looks as though it has never been used. The small engineering business that I bought it from said they had never used it because they didn't have any tooling for it!

Malc.
Rather expensive for tools I think.
Rather than make the whole tool from tool steel,(which works fine but will be brittle if of any length). I would recomend making tool holders out of EN24T that fit the slotter, but in which you can fit a small piece of HSS to do the actual cutting. I think you will find this works very well and can be made on a diy basis.
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st October 2008, 09:26 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Mr Steamy One.

I used to do lots of slotting with a similar Beaver slotting head mainly Keyway cutting.
On bores more than 5/8" I used a holder crossdrilled to suit a round piece of HSS of a larger diameter than the keyway to be cut.

On bores less than 5/8" the holder needs to be drilled axially or at a slight angle to give back clearance.

The HSS toolbit needs to be held in place by a grub screw in both cases.