Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#11  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th July 2009, 07:14 AM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
It was me that commented previously. A railway thing if you like, but water at 150c and upwards flashing into steam and then vapourising won't just pick on your shins- honest. If you are supremely confident in the integrity of any restrictors and balls in the frames, then take the risk, but if not, please reconsider. A glass rarely gives notice of its intentions so it is a shock when it happens. So many accidents have happened as a knock on of the Driver nursing injuries, so not being able to attend to his duties. Remember, a protector often acts as a deflector, spreading the good news around the footplate and if you don't have backplates, the shards of glass get everywhere. Boring Vern.
Good job I have a Klinger then Vern. PS seen one go in a Sentinel cab at 275yet?
  #12  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th July 2009, 04:57 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Vernon Smith

You will not believe this, but guess what happened today... albeit only 255psi. We have a restrictor in the top and a ball at the bottom, but still a nice little bang. As for the rest of it, I won't argue with you, but I will generalise. Depending on the engine, pipes and their joints have been known to fail and blowbacks from the firehole are hardly rare and cotton affords at least some protection.My real concern is for those who use the same glass year after year and don't wear overalls- a combination odds on to conspire to disaster. The other thing is that engine sense comes from an aptitude that not everyone has. I have been teacher at both experience day and proffessional levels more times than I can remember and the candidates vary from great potential to hopeless.. Bearing in mind the only formal qualification for road steam is money, the passing on of best practice helps to protect us all. If you think I'm being a killjoy, I'm sorry and it certainly isn't my intention- I am actually capable of having a good time and do have an intermittent sense of humour. Vern.
  #13  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th July 2009, 06:11 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Bob Allison

Vern - What a way to start the holiday season !

Interesting to hear about the restrictor in the top fitting . Sounds a good idea . What have you got in the back of your protector , a grill ?

I used to have a pair of heavy melton trousers when I drove Mr. Shone's waggons . They looked , shall we say , period , but were good protection , and ended the season with a nice shine on them ( Melton is what donkey jackets are , or were , made from ) I was blacksmithing at the time , and so they kept the heat off my legs at work too .

Owners of Fowlers , and others with their gauge frames tucked away behind the third shaft , may be interested to hear that the modern BONETTI reflex fittings will fit in a much more restricted space than the Klinger pattern . A nice man at Chanter Biomed took one off the shelf and measured it when I rang him , and there will be plenty of room for one on my Fowler .

They don't look bad at all , and on a Fowler they cannot easily be seen anyhow , so they should not spoil your authenticity . You do not need to use the Bonetti gauge frame , just the bit that goes in place of the glass , as with the Klinger . They are also about £ 100 cheaper than the Klinger pattern .
  #14  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th July 2009, 06:21 PM
Engineer

Hi, I have a back plate, held on with a couple of brass screws- very useful and good at stopping flying glass. The restrictor is a small loose valve that seats if the glass breaks, again it's very helpful.
  #15  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th July 2009, 06:25 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Bob Allison

I have an example of what I think is the ultimate , a protector with a hinged back panel , with a white plate with diagonal slots , and a grill with about 10 to the inch mesh outside of that . That way a blowout can vent freely to the back , without any glass flying .
  #16  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th July 2009, 07:19 PM
Engineer

They are (wash my mouth out) standard on some companies railway locomotives and like you say- the ultimate.
  #17  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th July 2009, 10:18 PM
Engineer

Full Name: glen prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYS4BOB View Post

Burrell 2693 was still sheeted whe I left at 2.30.

Burrell 2948 Dreadnought was busy all day with the impressive threshing set.
the burrell 2693 was uncover in the afternoon and being filled with water.

as for the threashing set knackered would have been a better word to use.

as for 8827 see the discussion section.

glen
  #18  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th July 2009, 11:00 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Michael Pumfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboy View Post

as for the threashing set knackered would have been a better word to use.

glen
What makes you say that? Looks a good drum to me, produces a good sample and probably sees more use in a year than an awful lot of others, and long may it continue! Some of the other stuff is getting a bit tired perhaps but the main tackle always seems to do a good job.
  #19  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st July 2009, 07:20 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Mike Dyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsur Rotcorp View Post
What makes you say that? Looks a good drum to me, produces a good sample and probably sees more use in a year than an awful lot of others, and long may it continue! Some of the other stuff is getting a bit tired perhaps but the main tackle always seems to do a good job.
................even the chaff cutter?
  #20  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st July 2009, 09:45 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Michael Pumfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplex View Post
................even the chaff cutter?
I mean the threshing tackle that works with Dreadnought, rather than the ancilliary stuff.