Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > Wanted Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Wanted Adverts Steam items and equipment Wanted.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 7th January 2008, 07:34 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Dave Riley
Default Tools

Hi

As you all know, or maybe you don't! I like my tools, so I need to buy a set of old tools. I need spanners, sokets, pry bars, screwe drivers, measuring and marking out suff, general tools, pliers, saws, hammers, etc etc, a bit of everything, and everything has to be imperial AF, Whit etc. Spanners of a bigger size will be considered but these are not as critical.

I also have had the desire to buy some air hammers, for riveting etc for a while.

I will also need a substatial lockable box/chest to put them in.

If anyone has anything or knows of anything suitable, sees something on ebay etc, let me know!

Cheers

Dave
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 7th January 2008, 11:23 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Dan Brothwell

best thing if ur after a toolchest is looking on ebay or have a look at your local machine mart for a roll cab, my brother picked a nice one up from somewhere, will enquire for you tho i think it was a machine mart one. Rivetting kit i'm nut sure where you'll get that, would imagine you'll be able to pic it up second hand tho... spanners look round autojumbles n old tat stalls at rallies, you may find something.....
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th January 2008, 05:42 AM
Engineer

Hi

Yeah that is what I thought, I am currently doing simmilar stuff, and am buying bits when I see them, but thought I would put the word out, just incase someone is having the forbiden clear out! hehe

I am a bit sceptical about buying new tools, I have the weird view that old tools should be used on old machines, but like you say, a new chest could be good!

Cheers

Dave
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th January 2008, 07:43 PM
Engineer

Full Name: John Wakeham

When I started doing the Roller back in '96 I bought a set of three Chinese adjustables, the largest has a jaw width of about four inches.

The boys at Milford laughed at me for making an investment that would last ten minutes.

Well they have done two engines and have had full length boiler tubes hanging on the end for some of the dismantling jobs and are still going strong.

But I still like tools made in America or with arrows on
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th January 2008, 08:36 PM
Engineer

Hi

Don't get me wrong, cheap tools if you buy new in my eyes are the way forward, at least in the begining. I can't understand people spending months and months of wages on a name brand tool kit. Why not buy everything cheap, use it abuse it, if you find something breaks alot, or is not up to it, obviously you use it, so spend a bit of cash on a better tool. That way you have lots of tools, that you use, and are not scared of giving some welly, or loosing.

I still have the attitude of old machines, should be fixed with old tools, but that is just a view I have.

Cheers

Dave
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th January 2008, 09:32 PM
Engineer

Full Name: matthew cobb

Hi,

Keep an eye out for spanners & sockets with the name KING DICK on them as they are an old make,

can be bought very cheaply and are in my opinion excellent!!
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th January 2008, 10:00 PM
Engineer

Hi

I will do just that.

Cheers

Dave
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 14th January 2008, 07:07 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Ryan Donovan

Car boot sales is the way forward. It is nice to know that there are some good tools coming from China- makes a change from the crap i've experienced in the past, but still wouldn't buy them lol. I saw a big plastic bread tray full of whit spanners at a local boot sale that nobody wanted and ended up buying the trayful (and tray) for a tenner. About scrap price as they must weigh a c.w.t! I get all my tools from boot sales with 'made in england' cast into them for less than the price of the chinese equivalent and i am yet to break one.

Also the ex-mod ammo cases are good to keep tools in- hammers in 1, spanners in another etc as i too bought a machine mart tool box but if you put more than a few small screwdrivers in it the bloomin thing falls on you when a draw is opened.

But old, buy british, buy one,
Just like the machine you will use them on!
lol

Ryan
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 14th January 2008, 05:05 PM
Engineer

Hi

Yeah I think I will start going to a few boot sales again when they start up in the spring, alot were rained off like everything else last year, so there maybe some good finds this year!

I am glad I have found someone else who likes old tools, to work on old machines.

Cheers

Dave
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th January 2008, 09:57 PM
Engineer

Full Name: John Newson

King Dick were one of the best quality spanners going, I still have a few in my box at work. Not sure if they are still going. Probably bought out by some company selling cheap rubbish now. Snap on are very good but expensive. I recently bought a tool set from Halfords comprising of combi spanners and a socket set, with a lifetime guarantee and i must admit it is very good stuff.
Regards
John