Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > For-Sale Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

For-Sale Adverts Steam items and equipment For Sale.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th February 2021, 11:25 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Nick Hall
Default Electric rotary table conversion

I've built a setup to convert a rotary table to an electric drive which will allow you to operate your rotary table or dividing head without the use of those pesky indexing plates.

My mate needed one to help with his McLaren build so I built this and we have been amazed at how great this system works AND the time it saves.

I have put x2 quick video on youtube showing it in action and tried to describe it a bit.
https://youtu.be/wrMqKXtMPOo
- and -
https://youtu.be/mbIaw-uM_54

I'm NOT looking at selling his set up but rather offering to build one for you - we have found this to be a great bit of kit.

The system is based on the newly realised digital closed circuit stepper motor technology
The motor mounting holes are 3.4 inches diagonally across to give you a general size of the motor BUT bigger or smaller motors can be supplied. The motor we have used here is the most powerful at this size rated @ 12Nm - a very powerful motor.

Using this set up on a 90:1 table you can divide a circle into 36000 divisions or 0.01 degrees and its spot on accurate.

There are 4 basic settings + a customisable program:

1: - Jog - allows you to quickly step forward or backwards by 0.01 / 0.1 / 1 or 10 degrees, rotate to a set position and set the display to zero if needed.

2: - Division - allows you to set the number of divisions needed from 2 to 9999, once set press forward or backwards to advance to the next.

3: - Degrees - much like above but allows you to put in a degree instead of a division.

4: - Continuous - drives the table forward or backwards using the 5 different speeds which are user changeable.

ALL screens show you the current position of the table - what step you are on (4 of 36 etc) - the steps in degrees.

Screen 5 allows you to custom pre program specific tasks such as sweeping from 20.108 to 178.94 degrees backwards and forwards such as machining die block etc.
It even has the ability to have two limit switches attached so it will swing from switch to switch.

Screen 9 is the setup screen where you can customise the motors speed, the number of divisions for different tables, reversing the polarity etc.

As for the speeds - there are 5 in total, you can set the slowest and fastest and the three in-between are set as intermediates. The speeds also allow for a soft start.
There is also a backlash feature, say the backlash is set to 8 (0.08 degrees), if you wind the table backwards it will automatically advance 8 steps forward to remove the backlash.

The hand controller box is constructed from die cast aluminium fitted with a power plug and I've put it on 2.5 meters of cable BUT I can extend or shorten as required OR even build the controller into the main box.
The two leads to the motor are 1.8 meters long but leads up to 4 meters can be supplied (if you wanted to wall mount it etc).

So I would be selling you everything needed EXCEPT a way of mounting to your table
a 3 meter mains lead which will go to the main box containing the power supplies and the motors digital controller, from this box are three leads, two go to the motor with plugs, one will go to the divider hand controller again on a plug.

The system requires a standard 3 pin 240v supply and the motor pulls a maximum of 6.2 amps so it all runs on a 3amp fuse.

As I said above YOU will have to make a plate and four legs to fit it to your table - see the video - I will supply the coupling when you tell me the size of the shaft your table needs - we bored a plate and fitted a pinch bolt to mount it.

Now we come to price - this is fluctuating at the moment but I can build and deliver to you for £580 NO VAT, and if a few of you want these and I can bulk buy I will pass on any savings to you.

I'm not a business - I'm currently out of work due to C19 and trying to find a way to pay the bills - All the equipment comes with a years guarantee and I'll be there on the end of the phone if any problems arise.

I know the chap who programs the chip and inverted the circuitry and he is the most helpful of gentlemen.

The memory works on flash so once disconnected it does NOT loose its settings (motor speed etc)

I will add more photos and videos as I take them

If you have any questions - would like to order - have a comment - please feel free to ask away.
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th February 2021, 11:37 PM
Engineer

I forgot to add a photo of the motor and drive connector - you can see the plate we made with a pinch bolt and the four pillars for the motor support but yours might be slightly different - you will have to work that out

#3  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th March 2021, 12:35 PM
Engineer

Default Another sold

Well that's another one built just before shipping to its new owner.