Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 18th April 2022, 10:42 AM
Apprentice

Full Name: Paul Gilbey
Default Quorn Festival of Steam

This was the first time I have been to this event, I had a most enjoyable day and spoke to many owners who were more than happy to chat about their engines. Their are a couple of photo's of diesel rollers also included for those who like such engiine's.

Details of the Works numbers can be found by viewing the album in Picture Albums tab.

I would be grateful if any TT members are able to supply any details of the Marshall Portable engine including its UP (unidentified portable) number. All i know about it is that it came from Chile and was built around 1928. It was purchased from i believe the west country a couple of years ago the only known ID mark is 1853 but is clearly not the Wks No.

#2  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd April 2022, 11:21 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Simon Tansley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
I would be grateful if any TT members are able to supply any details of the Marshall Portable engine including its UP (unidentified portable) number. All i know about it is that it came from Chile and was built around 1928. It was purchased from i believe the west country a couple of years ago the only known ID mark is 1853 but is clearly not the Wks No.
She is a Marshall S-Type portable, we think 6nhp. Repatriated in 2003 from Chile, and previously owned by James Cummins in South Gloucestershire. Ed Crane and myself bought her in a dismantled state in 2018 and have reassembled to working condition. She has been mechanically overhauled including a re-bore, and the boiler is in excellent condition, but we both have our own engines and things to take up our time so we have left her in a maintained, 'working' state to use and show. It always seems to attract a bit of attention.

Regarding works number, the boiler has a 1928 date stamp, and so we think assembled in to an engine for export around that time. Unfortunately the works plate was removed when she returned to the UK so we don't know the engine number. I believe she is UP44 in the TER.
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd April 2022, 06:47 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Paul Gilbey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7833 View Post
She is a Marshall S-Type portable, we think 6nhp. Repatriated in 2003 from Chile, and previously owned by James Cummins in South Gloucestershire. Ed Crane and myself bought her in a dismantled state in 2018 and have reassembled to working condition. She has been mechanically overhauled including a re-bore, and the boiler is in excellent condition, but we both have our own engines and things to take up our time so we have left her in a maintained, 'working' state to use and show. It always seems to attract a bit of attention.

Regarding works number, the boiler has a 1928 date stamp, and so we think assembled in to an engine for export around that time. Unfortunately the works plate was removed when she returned to the UK so we don't know the engine number. I believe she is UP44 in the TER.

Thank you Simon for providing the above details on your Marshall Portable it is appreciated.