Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > Wanted Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Wanted Adverts Steam items and equipment Wanted.

#11  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th March 2009, 08:34 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adam Marriott

Here here well said Joe.
I notice he's/ she's hidden their name! i may not say something folks like but i'll put my name to it.
  #12  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st March 2009, 06:31 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Peter Freeman

I have only met M.L.B the once and that was when we went to his place to have a look at some whistles he had.
He was more than helpful ,got one of his chaps to connect the whistles to an air line so we could get some idea of what they were like etc.
We bought a whistle ,and i can only say we were treated in a most business like and professional way.
So for some one to make derogatory remarks on M.L.B and they have most likely never met him is out of order,which onc eagain brings up the old chestnut of members of this site not having ANY details in the profile at all.
Makes me wonder what they have to hide ?
or do they not give details so they can purely come in here to stir things up with stupid remarks ?
  #13  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st March 2009, 07:21 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Jim Stanley

Preston Services have lots of portables for sale which I understand are reasonably priced. perhaps one of those might be an ideal 1st project?

Good luck with finding in engine.

JIm S
  #14  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st March 2009, 10:00 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Tony Seddon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1962 View Post
Do not go to Preston services he`s a dealer need I say more?
Sparky,

As with any dealer, as long as you go in there knowing that they are a dealer and take off your rose tinted specs, you are ok.

I bought and sold through him. I would do so again if he had something I wanted.

I would add that following my last encounter, I would of course take my own advice and be cautious and ensure I had every detail tied down in writing.

I might be advising slightly differently had I not been tied down last time.

Cheers

Tony
  #15  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st March 2009, 10:55 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Matt Cain

If it wasn't for Michael there may be a few of his restoration projects that would have been scrapped. A very pleasent and helpfully chap on the couple of occassions i have spoken to him.

Matt
  #16  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st March 2009, 03:36 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Keith Roy Sargeant

I have bought small stuff from MLB before and would do again without hesitation if he had what i wanted.

The Melter
  #17  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st March 2009, 03:40 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Craig Colledge

Theres nothing wrong with a man making money, after all thats why he is in buisiness.
  #18  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st March 2009, 03:58 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Vernon Smith

Viv and I called at Prestons in January, by prior appointment and declared our interest was strictly window shopping at that time. MLB was very ill but still substituted his more than capable Son to look after us. If you take out the few engines that are on brokerage, there is a phenomenal amount of money sat there and until or unless something sells, there is no return. Do some homework on what has fetched what sort of price recently and if you are serious, make an appointment and go- it's the candy store of the road steam world! We will soon be in the market for an engine for a specific job and will not hesitate to deal with MLB if the right choice for us is in stock. Vern.
  #19  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st April 2009, 08:33 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Joe Black

Sorry for my little rant, but by the reponse since it seems I was not out of order.

To bring the subject back for...(the original poster, sorry I've forgotten who), if you're serious. Prestons are a good place to start (plenty of possible engines and also a good gauge as for prices). As someone else said, a portable may well be a good first project and as I am started to think more recently very much underated/unappreciated.

Anyway, to the original poster, I hope this may help you.

Please read the post/statement by the NTET regarding "Interested in buying an engine". Although I have never bought an engine, the advice would appear to be...go in with your eyes open, keep your hands in your pocket and don't let your heart run away with you whilst your brain is still trying to catch up.

All the best,

Joe
  #20  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st April 2009, 09:43 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adam Marriott

wise words from joe. having been there done that i would say a portable is a good way to go and will also get you a taster and lead up a steep learning curve if you want the hands on rather than the cheque book approach to restoration. As for advise its difficult as you have to buy with both heart and head, that said take some well informed friends and unless its impossible, i.e some one else will jump in as its such a bargain, sleep on it and visit a 2nd time with a good boiler inspector before you put your hand in your pocket.