Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > Wanted Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Wanted Adverts Steam items and equipment Wanted.

#11  Post / In Thread 
Old 17th November 2013, 09:01 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Dave Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris wedgwood View Post
Hi yes I would be interested in the steel foster wheels as a stop gap, as you say I will eventually find the bits but it will take time, ours is on steels with clayton and shuttleworth cast into them, if anyone has a need for these, can you put me in touch with the foster ones pls. I have yet to find any firm information on the drum, it is number 2991 which I think makes it 1890 something ? It had the sliding roof on which turned out to be completely homemade, however it has saved the machine keeping the weather out. I am interested in any literature, pictures or contacts who may be useful to its restoration
What condition is it in?
  #12  Post / In Thread 
Old 17th November 2013, 09:04 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Piers

That surprises me about the roof. I only say that because it was identical to the type illustrated in my 1924 Foster catalogue.
PM me if you want further info, scans from the catalogue etc.
  #13  Post / In Thread 
Old 17th November 2013, 09:11 PM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Quote:
in Endon or Adderley?
near Adderley
  #14  Post / In Thread 
Old 17th November 2013, 09:16 PM
Engineer

Full Name: chris wedgwood

the person who created it probably saw the catalogue and designed it to look like it, alternatively it had the sliding roof which rotted and was replaced, however, the timber hatches under the roof structure are definitely weathered, the hatches would not lift under the structure, and some of the original timber had been crudely sawn short to allow the structure to fit, My feeling is that the structure was some ones interpretation from the catalogue I would love any info, this mill is 1890 something so before this idea?
  #15  Post / In Thread 
Old 17th November 2013, 09:22 PM
Engineer

there is some rot in the forecarriage support timbers, and on the top works the external deck timbers,(the overhanging ones) the tin lining where the drum and concave sit are a bit lacey, I thought I may line with s/s. ???? the canvas bits all need replacing but generally not too bad, although I don't think it would be wise to put a belt on it just yet.
  #16  Post / In Thread 
Old 17th November 2013, 10:43 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adam Marriott

just put the first of a pile of drum catalogues and literature in the library section...
  #17  Post / In Thread 
Old 18th November 2013, 09:00 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: david glanville

Good evening Chris, check out item 301015977458 on eBay, hopefully it is exactly what you are looking for. Regards, David.
  #18  Post / In Thread 
Old 18th November 2013, 09:09 PM
Engineer

very interesting, but it would be a shame to have it just for the wheels no? I maybe getting sentimental but it like killing a Rhino just for it horn,
  #19  Post / In Thread 
Old 18th November 2013, 10:12 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Piers

Quote:
very interesting, but it would be a shame to have it just for the wheels no? I maybe getting sentimental but it like killing a Rhino just for it horn,
It would indeed be criminal..!

I even considered going for this machine myself, but it doesn't have the elevator-pulleys that I need, and, judging by recent sales against conventional auction results, Ebay is a very expensive place to purchase a threshing machine.

Hang in there Chris, some people (such as a couple of thatchers that I know in Devon) couldn't wait to get shot of their wooden rims and fit iron wheels or pneumatics. Folk who need the machines for a job of work can't be messing around spending money restoring wooden wheels!
  #20  Post / In Thread 
Old 18th November 2013, 10:38 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adam Marriott

that may be the case piers, but having had drums on all three, they travel the best by far on wooden wheels, they are much smoother, iron is very harsh on the machines especially on the rough lanes round here, rubbers unless pumped up really hard are u/s and tend to bounce, timber is much better and flexes with the terrain, provided they're in good order timber wheels are preferable to the others, that said there's a bit of work in repairing/ making new ones, though I've now got all the gear...