Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > For-Sale Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

For-Sale Adverts Steam items and equipment For Sale.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd February 2010, 03:13 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Carl Byrne
Default Foster 4" traction engine - 80% + built

I bought this from Station Road Steam in 2006. the original listing can be found at:

http://www.stationroadsteam.com/stoc...2776/index.htm

I have to be realistic and since the fullsize Fowler takes all my 'workshop' time I can't see me finishing this any time soon! In hindsight I was foolish to think otherwise.

It seems to me that the build is too far on for somebody not to finish sooner than later and then be able to enjoy it.

The above link details the engine when I bought it and since then I have made new wheels (spokes not yet rivetted - merely bolted for now) as the original ones weren't to my liking, as they weren't to the same high standard as the rest of the engine, and I have also bought all of the remaining castings. I think that the only things missing is an injector, gauge frame, and steam valves.

I totally agree with the original description - the only error I found when I assembled it was that crankshaft first gear had been made with one too many teeth. I have since made a correct replacement gear.

The picture below shows it's current state - sitting on a stand in my living room. Most of the motion work is completed but not fitted - no holes have been drilled in the barrel. All gears are completed and fitted. Flat tender side plates and formed tender bottom are included.

Complete with boiler test certificate.

The proposed sale is not being financially driven so I am not selling at a bargain price. It is probably a better investment to keep it rather than to sell it and put the money in the Building Society. I simply cannot commit the required time to it when I have so much work still to do on my fullsize engine and would genuinely like to let somebody else have the opportunity of finishing the excellent work that was primarily done before my ownership.

I am open to offers and would be looking to get my money back on what I paid in 2006 - bearing in mind the extra work completed and the extra casting purchased.

If you are interested please contact me and I will be happy to answer any questions.

Regards Carl.

Last edited by carl_byrne; 3rd February 2010 at 03:42 PM..
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd February 2010, 04:46 PM
Engineer

Have had a few messages already. I don't have the internet at home so won't be able to reply except during office hours.

Regards arl.
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 12th May 2010, 08:40 AM
Engineer

Engine is no longer for sale. Thanks to those who expressed genuine interest.

Cheers Carl.