Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#31  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st April 2010, 02:57 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Bob Allison

I suppose that the logical thing is to replace the engines with computer generated plastic replicas , with no sharp corners and in bold primary colours , and sell the whole lot to Disneyland . Most of the public couldn't tell the difference , and wouldn't give a damn .
  #32  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st April 2010, 04:17 PM
Engineer

Full Name: :

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidner View Post
I suppose that the logical thing is to replace the engines with computer generated plastic replicas , with no sharp corners and in bold primary colours , and sell the whole lot to Disneyland . Most of the public couldn't tell the difference , and wouldn't give a damn .

Oh, you mean like <<this>>
...excepting for a moment the fact that it's at Universal Studios, not Disney - but it's the same idea!

Of course I still mourn the passing of the old Birmingham Science & Industry Museum .
If I had a spare hour for lunch whilst at Uni I'd pop over there to make use of the cafe and stand and watch the stationary engines ticking over on a Wednesday.

From what I understand the "Think Tank" (so called) replacement turned all 'hands on' , 'touchy feely' , 'interpretted for the kiddies', and lost half the displays in the process. I couldn't (and still can't) bring myself to go and visit - better to keep happy memories of the old museum, now departed .
  #33  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st April 2010, 04:37 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Dave Riley

I personally think it is a shame to see machinery deteriorating, and being left outside unused for long periods of time, can't be doing anything ferous any good. Some times people have no choice, thats fair enough, as is what Ian says, if you want to keep an engine outside, unrestored, fair play, keep it outside, unrestored.

Kieth, I like your idea with the oil! When do you want me to come? hehe Maybe saying people don't understand what it costs to restore/ repair an engine on a engine forum, is a bit nieve, but that may well be the case in the general public, if money is the problem, maybe we need to raise some for them, if it is time, maybe they need more volunteers, I have no Idea, as I have never been there, don't know them etc.

Universally, moaning, not quite the right word again, we are all passing oppinions, what a forum is, all any of us know the owner(s)maybe desperate to restore the engines that are sheeted up, therefore everyones comments, oppinions are moaning in regard to leaving them how they are?

I think people have to remember forums will allways have people sharing oppinions, we don't have/have to share the same oppinions, and we are all free to have an oppinion. I find it really anoying when these conversations turn into two sided rows, all forums have them, and it really anoyes me. If we can all pass oppinions without resulting in sided arguements, it will do for me! hehe

Right, I expect this will case an arguement now! In that case I am off out to play with my bees! They never argue back, just sting my ears!
  #34  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st April 2010, 05:54 PM
Engineer

Full Name: :

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy bee View Post
...They never argue back, just sting my ears!

Err - and that's not arguing with your theft of their honey?!
  #35  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st April 2010, 06:09 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Bob Allison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mine Explorer View Post
Oh, you mean like <<this>>
...excepting for a moment the fact that it's at Universal Studios, not Disney - but it's the same idea!

Of course I still mourn the passing of the old Birmingham Science & Industry Museum .
If I had a spare hour for lunch whilst at Uni I'd pop over there to make use of the cafe and stand and watch the stationary engines ticking over on a Wednesday.

From what I understand the "Think Tank" (so called) replacement turned all 'hands on' , 'touchy feely' , 'interpretted for the kiddies', and lost half the displays in the process. I couldn't (and still can't) bring myself to go and visit - better to keep happy memories of the old museum, now departed .

They did the same in Newcastle , Lord knows where the exhibits have gone .
  #36  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st April 2010, 06:32 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Malcolm Young
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidner View Post
They did the same in Newcastle , Lord knows where the exhibits have gone .
I had the same thoughts a couple of weeks ago when during a brief (three days) visit to Newcastle we went to the new 'Discovery' Museum (didn't see any Discoverys in there though! ). Apart from the 'Turbinia' there was nothing that I could remember from the old 'Exhibition Park' museum. Having said that there are some interesting exhibits in there, we spent a pleasant morning there before finding a real ale pub for a spot of lunch. Outside the entrance to the museum I was quite surprised to see a Burrell showman's engine in steam, it was 'Excelsior' No 3878, last time I saw it, it was named 'Island Chief'.
By the way, Tomo was on the footplate at the time.

Malc.
  #37  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st April 2010, 08:09 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Anthony Coulls

That explains why I passed it heading north on the A1 on Thursday 18th March then...thank you!

And as for where all the nice stuff from Newcastle has gone, most of it is now in the regional resource centre at Beamish, visible through windows apart from when they hold store tours.
  #38  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st April 2010, 09:28 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Matt S

I don't think anyone is having a row. There is a difference in opinions. I think everyone respects that not everyone agrees.

I only expressed my opinion and despite thinking again about a point or two raised, I stand by the point I was originally making. It doesn't mean I am right or wrong.
  #39  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st April 2010, 09:41 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Dave Riley

Hi

I didn'tmean it was a row, but things do escalate, and I didn't want to be seen as rowing, or causing a row, for just like you, having an oppinion, so made the point I did.

Anyway,I amgoing to agree to disagreeon this one,and don't thinkI will say muchmore on the topic.

Cheers

Dave
  #40  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st April 2010, 10:14 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Keith Callcut

(Kieth, I like your idea with the oil! When do you want me to come? hehe Maybe saying people don't understand what it costs to restore/ repair an engine on a engine forum, is a bit nieve, but that may well be the case in the general public, if money is the problem, maybe we need to raise some for them, if it is time, maybe they need more volunteers, I have no Idea, as I have never been there, don't know them etc.)

I didn't mean to generalize with my comment about cost of restoring an engine but im sure there are some on here who would love to own an engine but dont understand the cost involved until they start the process. I for one would love to see all the engines at Thursford up and running but i suspect that cost is the key problem there. I agree that it would be nice for some of the engines to be sold to those that would put them back to working order but as has been said on here that it is up to the owners to do what they want with them as they please.
I seem to remember going through all this last founders day, it will come up time and time again. I only hope that the kind folk at Thursford dont stop founders day if they find out about the sort of discussions on here as i think some of the comments could be wrongly interpreted.

Tags
thursford