Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#11  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th September 2008, 01:05 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Mike Dyson

The weather was terrible and there was plenty of mud. Amazingly there was a good turn out by the public. These Fen folk are a tough lot and a bit of mud and rain does not spoil their enjoyment
We had a great time and even managed to get round the ring on both days.
Plenty of tractors on hand were able to pull people onto the field and later to pull them off. I'm not sure if Chris Pumfrey had to sleep on his tractor over the weekend because he was constantly at work either pulling someone on to the field or pulling them off. Many thanks Chris, we wouldn't have made it without your help!
  #12  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th September 2008, 01:30 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Emily Pumfrey

Having just got back from the Somme, it seems as if something epic has been acheived! Thanks to Andrew Waling for towing my little car off.
I think this year's rally was an amazing success considering the conditions, it really goes to show that Fen people are made of stern stuff. The support from the public on both days was great, and the local farmers really went out of their to help. It is pleasing that the event means so much to the community.
I counted 18 tractors on site during the Sunday hour rush, as well as the vintage tractors doing their bit too. Indeed, Chris did not leave his tractor until late last night, having to get home to drive one all day at work! I don't think we would have had a rally at all if it wasn't for him, and the army of helpers.
By the time it was dark, the site was successfully emptied, and nobody was abandoned to the tide.
Who needs the big load at Dorset when you can see Ollie Owen's 2 John Deere's double heading Mr Eagle's lowloader. All so he could keep his engine wheels clean!
  #13  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th September 2008, 03:25 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Jamie Godwin (Preston)

it loked rather muddy from them photos
  #14  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th September 2008, 04:58 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Simon Wyeld

Despite the weather we had an enjoyable weekend, got the engine stuck getting in, and out though! Well done to the organisors for keeping the show on! It was reassuringly surprising about the amount of public attending over the weekend. Lucky for us, we got out of the field before the afternoon torrent arrived yesterday.... The tractor drivers did a sterling job of extracting those in need of a tow!

Here's a picture of us on Saturday, nice four wheel drift....

#15  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th September 2008, 07:24 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Mike Dyson

Simon,

How did you manage to keep the wheels clean? I have spent most of the day cleaning mud off the wheels of the Garrett!
  #16  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th September 2008, 07:45 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Hugh Dyson

Strange feeling when the engine starts to go sideways. We did get round the ring both days but only by having a good run up. That and been towed off the site got the wheels messed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin Foden View Post
Despite the weather we had an enjoyable weekend, got the engine stuck getting in, and out though! Well done to the organisors for keeping the show on! It was reassuringly surprising about the amount of public attending over the weekend. Lucky for us, we got out of the field before the afternoon torrent arrived yesterday.... The tractor drivers did a sterling job of extracting those in need of a tow!

Here's a picture of us on Saturday, nice four wheel drift....

#17  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th September 2008, 08:22 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Christopher Brighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
Strange feeling when the engine starts to go sideways. We did get round the ring both days but only by having a good run up. That and been towed off the site got the wheels messed up.
it's bad enough going sideways under your own power, it feels 10 times worse going sideways when being towed espeically when the lake is less than 6 feet in the direction of the slide.

I want to echo the thanks to Chris, Olly and all the others who pulled off the rally field.

D-Type
  #18  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th September 2008, 08:27 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Oliver Wyeld

Well done and thanks to all involved, as has been said, we couldnt have got on or off the field with out the aid of the tractor drivers, (thanks Chris!)
  #19  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th September 2008, 08:34 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Simon Wyeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplex View Post
Simon,

How did you manage to keep the wheels clean? I have spent most of the day cleaning mud off the wheels of the Garrett!
Just lucky I guess Mike! I heard your wheels were a nice shade of 'chocolate brown' by the time you got off the field....
  #20  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th September 2008, 10:28 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Hugh Dyson
Default This shade of brown

It was at its worse when we got going and the mud came off the wheels and onto the flywheel I was glad I was driving. We went up Haddenham hill and the water came down, soaked through but still smiling.

Did DType do his rain dance thing like at Melford and Thurlow a few years back. It rained buckets then.