Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th August 2010, 06:23 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Harry Godding
Default Leeds Castle 'Classic Cars & More'

Had a great weekend at Leeds castle, was the first year with steam engines at this event and hopefully not the last! Engines included Garrett 4cd showmans tractor 'The Mighty atom', Foden steam bus 'Puffing Billy' and Wallis & Steevens Advance roller 'Pheobe'. The castle provided a beautiful backdrop to pictures and the chance was taken the explore the grounds which was great fun! My thanks go to everyone involved and special thanks to John and Grahame for the endless cups of tea and lifts there and back! And also to my brother who took some of the photos below whilst I was driving!

Finally to top it all off we roaded the Advance back to its temporary home the Bredgar & Wormshill Light Railway Sunday evening but sadly no pictures! The trip included going up Hollingbourne hill which I have heard is the steepest in Kent! (?)
Leeds Castle Classic Cars & More 6
Leeds Castle Classic Cars & More 5
Leeds Castle Classic Cars & More 3
Leeds Castle Classic Cars & More 4
Leeds Castle Classic Cars & More 2
Leeds Castle Classic Cars & More 1
Leeds Castle Classic Cars & More 8
Leeds Castle Classic Cars & More 9
Leeds Castle Classic Cars & More 10
Leeds Castle Classic Cars & More 11
Leeds Castle Classic Cars & More 12
Leeds Castle Classic Cars & More 13
Leeds Castle Classic Cars & More 7

Health & Safety? What ever happened to common sense?
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th August 2010, 07:17 PM
Engineer

Full Name: David Bramwell

Looks like the ideal place for a steam rally to me .
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th August 2010, 09:15 PM
Engineer

It was a very picturesque place, beautiful backdrop! As you said a great place for a rally but I feel that the fact there was only three of us meant that we had a certain amount of freedom that would not be allowed if there were more of us!

Was also great to hear members of the public commenting on how nice it was to see some movement around the site! And as long as a bit of common sense is used then the chances are nothing is likely to go wrong!

#4  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st August 2010, 09:17 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Neil Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&WLR Harry View Post
It was a very picturesque place, beautiful backdrop! As you said a great place for a rally but I feel that the fact there was only three of us meant that we had a certain amount of freedom that would not be allowed if there were more of us!

Was also great to hear members of the public commenting on how nice it was to see some movement around the site! And as long as a bit of common sense is used then the chances are nothing is likely to go wrong!

Let me know if this takes place next year, we'll try and bring our Foden along to this, as I live quite close to Leeds Castle.
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd August 2010, 10:05 AM
Engineer

So far as I can tell our prospects look good for a return visit since they seemed to enjoy our attendence but we shall see!

#6  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd August 2010, 10:22 AM
Engineer

Full Name: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&WLR Harry View Post
The trip included going up Hollingbourne hill which I have heard is the steepest in Kent! (?)
You have my great respect taking a roller up, or down Hollingbourne Hill. As you say its exteremly steep and very long. I got stuck on it about ten years ago in a Land Rover towing a rather large and heavy trailer which we were taking via the back lanes on account of its worrying lack of road-worthiness. Well done.
Dave
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd August 2010, 03:45 PM
Engineer

The roller was the Wallis advance in the pictures which has it's rolls rubbered, makes the whole experience less risky! Still great fun though! . Maybe one day I'll find out what it's like on steel rolls, I would definitely want a crew of at least three - driver, steersman and someone at the ready with a block!

It comes in handy to know the hill like the back of my hand as I cycle up it at least once week on my way to the B&WLR! I usually come back down at half nine at night at speeds around the 40mph mark which is when the knowledge really comes in handy! ;-)

#8  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd August 2010, 05:25 PM
Engineer

Full Name: graham

Its not the going up which is the problem its going down .I have now driven up and down hollingbourne, hill and also done detling and bluebell hill .Bluebell hill was the worst as its very fast and the lorries do wizz pass when your only doing 3mph.
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd August 2010, 05:29 PM
Engineer

Harry,

Ah, the rubber rolls do help I think, I reckon its the only way that I would attempt it. I used to live at the top of the hill in Tunstall and often wondered if I would ever attempt it on my engine. You should get Bill to give you "Thursday night boys" danger money travelling at those sorts of speeds on a bike.
Cheers
Dave
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd August 2010, 05:33 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbagted View Post
Its not the going up which is the problem its going down .I have now driven up and down hollingbourne, hill and also done detling and bluebell hill .Bluebell hill was the worst as its very fast and the lorries do wizz pass when your only doing 3mph.
Your right about Bluebell its just too damn fast with a number of lunatics on it. I did take a diesel roller down the top of Detling Hill about 10 years ago, into the defunct Detling Steam Rally... the bit that scared the life out of me was moving into the outside lane to get into the showground... with heavy lorries bearing down on you as you say its damn scary.
Cheers
Dave