Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th August 2014, 12:13 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Dan Brothwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1882 View Post
I blame those dogs that tow wooden trailers for killing rallies.....
What about the man with half a dozen oil cans or three old bikes?

We're doing it wrong!

Oh wait hold on a minute. I have the answer to the original question.... Conversions & The NTET!!
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th August 2014, 12:49 PM
Engineer

Full Name: David Worthington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancashire Lad View Post
I have the answer to the original question....
The answer is 42.

If you get it you are showing your age, LOL
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th August 2014, 02:54 PM
Engineer

Full Name: John walton

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnclare View Post
The answer is 42.

If you get it you are showing your age, LOL

The Hatton Home for the Terminally Bewildered
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th August 2014, 02:23 PM
Engineer

Full Name: C. J. Arrowsmith

Quote:

We're doing it wrong!

Oh wait hold on a minute. I have the answer to the original question.... Conversions & The NTET!!
Now listen hear young man.

All this criticizing of the club by unhelpful individuals such as your self is really getting on the tits of the people who spend such a large amount of their time trying to sort it, from the goodness of there own heart.

How many times do you need to be told that you are not aloud to poke fun, make suggestions or even express an opinion on the NTET!!!
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st August 2014, 10:42 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Dan Brothwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1882 View Post
Now listen hear young man.

All this criticizing of the club by unhelpful individuals such as your self is really getting on the tits of the people who spend such a large amount of their time trying to sort it, from the goodness of there own heart.

How many times do you need to be told that you are not aloud to poke fun, make suggestions or even express an opinion on the NTET!!!
Don't you patronise me you gobby little shite!

Your another cause for all this! Gallivanting all over the country with your whippet and dinosaur, trudging all your father's worldly possessions around up hill and down dale! Holding up Joe Bloggs and poor old chardonnay in their Chelsea tractor.. due to the free exhibition time you give them on the road, they feel no need to attend the show. Plus because they had to actually drive under the speed limit for once, they don't wish to attend the show because you held them up!
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th August 2014, 07:57 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Matt S

Quote:

We're doing it wrong!

In my defence, I recently took my pile of shit, which features oil cans and a bike to a show and it crested a lot more interest than either the fowler or Garrett I had parked either side.

Took an hour to get it home and close to 16 hours to get both engines back in the shed.
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th August 2014, 08:28 PM
Engineer

Full Name: -

...after thinking about this for a bit I am not sure anything particulary "kills" a rally, but I get bored when I see the same engines/exhibits, in the same locations, year-in-year-out. And when I am bored, I don't go back again.

Some blokes/rally committees have worked hard to get this right, such as prior events at Cerney, but for the ones I attend in Kent its mainly the same old stuff. Having trudged through the mud in Dorset this year, I got the same feeling so may give it a miss for a year or two (sure, I know Gigantic was there, and the trenches and everything... but it all felt very familiar).

So Tom, familiarity breeds contempt....
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th August 2014, 08:51 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Paul Kemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radhew View Post
...after thinking about this for a bit I am not sure anything particulary "kills" a rally, but I get bored when I see the same engines/exhibits, in the same locations, year-in-year-out. And when I am bored, I don't go back again.

Some blokes/rally committees have worked hard to get this right, such as prior events at Cerney, but for the ones I attend in Kent its mainly the same old stuff. Having trudged through the mud in Dorset this year, I got the same feeling so may give it a miss for a year or two (sure, I know Gigantic was there, and the trenches and everything... but it all felt very familiar).

So Tom, familiarity breeds contempt....
Engines being a pretty finite resource and difficult to transport it must be difficult for organisers wherever they are to attract / bring in new engines from other parts of the country though? As an example what would be the attraction or incentive for engines from oop North or the South West to visit rallies in Kent? I don't disagree with what you are suggesting but new exhibits is a tough thing to address I would think, so all you can do is shuffle things around a bit. Our little gathering in Canterbury gets plenty of support from the public and its surprising how many are repeat visitors year on year. Free admission and free parking help I guess lol.

Paul.
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th August 2014, 09:38 PM
Engineer

Full Name: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul30013 View Post
Engines being a pretty finite resource and difficult to transport it must be difficult for organisers wherever they are to attract / bring in new engines from other parts of the country though? As an example what would be the attraction or incentive for engines from oop North or the South West to visit rallies in Kent? I don't disagree with what you are suggesting but new exhibits is a tough thing to address I would think, so all you can do is shuffle things around a bit. Our little gathering in Canterbury gets plenty of support from the public and its surprising how many are repeat visitors year on year. Free admission and free parking help I guess lol.

Paul.
You're right Paul... and Sturry was the best one I went to last year for the reasons you mention. Have I missed it, or is it later in the year... I have a crap memory.
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th August 2014, 10:26 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Paul Kemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radhew View Post
You're right Paul... and Sturry was the best one I went to last year for the reasons you mention. Have I missed it, or is it later in the year... I have a crap memory.
Sorry Dave you have missed it this year! The Sunday was a total wash out unfortunately, some of our gallant railmen ran late morning but everyone was soaked by midday! We were still turning people away at the gate at three in the afternoon!! For next year its always the weekend 9th and 10th August or the weekend closest too!

Paul.