Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th September 2023, 02:21 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Rob Dickinson
Default Malpas Yesteryear Rally

Having missed Shrewsbury in favour of the portables at Bressingham, we went to Malpas on Saturday. As I expected more than 75% of the steam engines had been at Onslow two weeks earlier which is why we haven't been there for nearly 10 years.

It was the hottest day of the year I'm told, it certainly felt like it. Given the promise of 'over 20 steam engines' I was slightly underwhelmed to find 19 (and a Galloper engine), I'm not sure I would have fancied looking after a road engine in those conditions.

The report is on the website now.

https://www.internationalsteam.co.uk.../ukindex23.htm
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 12th September 2023, 02:39 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Joe Black

I think saying you were underwhelmed is a bit over the top.

If it wasn't for a break down and someone breaking their arm there would have been over 20 engines if there were 19 in attendance!
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 13th September 2023, 07:20 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Rodger Boesing

Quote:
Originally Posted by International Steam View Post
Given the promise of 'over 20 steam engines' I was slightly underwhelmed to find 19 (and a Galloper engine).

I have been lead to believe that when entry forms where sent out to exhibitors back in February this didn't include the owners of full size steam for some reason. They had to go online and use the form provided.

The fact that they had to do this was very poorly communicated and led to some owners thinking they had not been selected for this years rally despite attending in 2022 and the events before the Pandemic. By the time it came to light that an online form was required some engine owners unfortunately had made alternative arrangements !.

#4  Post / In Thread 
Old 13th September 2023, 10:38 AM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

I suspect there is a fair bit more to it than that.

The long time engine steward - Alan Eaton was told he was not needed going forward a few years ago - Did he do it in 2019? I think he did, that was the last year I exhibited (until this year). for my part I always thought Alan did a top job, and brought many volunteers with him to steward etc.

The nasty chinese cold put pay to 2020 & 2021.

The event Facebook page declared that 20 engines max would be accepted for 2022 with no appearance moneys. Also the road making display was told they were not needed ( a friend ran it - a TT member). I decided not to enter for various reasons which I posted on TT at the time.

There was a new section leader for this year, it seems nothing was communicated to him regards last years exhibitors.

I simply entered via the forms posted on the website. Following a post on the event Facebook Page earlier in the summer.

The club is not really a steam club - the fact it is 'decided' that they want us in the ring for invitation steering at 10am tells you that instantly. Its something I would raise with Alan every year. And it never changed.....

I thought Phil and his wife did a stand up job assisted by Neil, we were all made very welcome indeed, and very well looked after.

We seem to have raised something like £400 for charity via the invitation steering which was nice.

Sadly quite a lot of aggro occurred on Sunday night, the exit of this show always seems to cause issues and I will perhaps leave to others to report what happened on the gate, I did not see it personally.

My problem was dickheads in commercial vehicles and cars trying to jump the established exit que by driving through the steam camping. I had cars passing within inches of my living van steps by driving between it and the engine, which was still in the line and exhibiting (this was before 5pm). We blocked that off and a lorry then went behind my van, between it and another caravan and caught my living van causing my daughter who was inside (with our friends daughter) to come out all upset. Needless to say I soon blocked that route too - instantly - by sitting on my arse on the grass in the way!. Thankfully there was no visible damage to my van.

One of the military vehicle guys who had taken exception to me blocking the route either side of my van and was very rude and aggressive to my wife and a friends wife who was also camping there. He wasn't quite so macho with a filthy 18stone bloke standing in front of him however. And the timely appearance of Neil probably prevented a more unsavoury incident occurring.
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 15th September 2023, 08:26 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Rodger Boesing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8_10 Brass Cleaner View Post
One of the military vehicle guys who had taken exception to me blocking the route either side of my van and was very rude and aggressive to my wife and a friends wife who was also camping there. He wasn't quite so macho with a filthy 18stone bloke standing in front of him however. And the timely appearance of Neil probably prevented a more unsavoury incident occurring.

Hopefully the person in question will not be invited to attend the next Rally.

I have taken what i consider to be an unbiased opinion on this years event from a ex neighbour who had not attended Malpas since 2011. He and his family attended for one day over the weekend as a punter.....Apparently he won't be going again !.
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 15th September 2023, 02:00 PM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Boesing View Post
Hopefully the person in question will not be invited to attend the next Rally.

I have taken what i consider to be an unbiased opinion on this years event from a ex neighbour who had not attended Malpas since 2011. He and his family attended for one day over the weekend as a punter.....Apparently he won't be going again !.
Well, given I notice you've seen the statement on Facebook, the question is, if there is a rally in 2024, and if so, who will be running it?.

I wonder also if there is a show, will there be any engines?.
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 15th September 2023, 07:02 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Rob Dickinson

Those interested in a textbook example of how to get things wrong should have a look at the FB page, particularly the comments:
https://www.facebook.com/malpassteamrally/?locale=en_GB

As a complete outsider who just posted a mildly critical comment as part of a generally positive report, it seems very sad.

Organising, exhibiting and visiting a rally is meant to be FUN.