Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > Wanted Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Wanted Adverts Steam items and equipment Wanted.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th January 2016, 03:51 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Dave Conway
Default Wagon Steering box

I'm looking for a steering box that is suitable for a 7 ton (Fowler) wagon with solid tyres.
Here is a picture of what we have already.

It is not the original steering box, and there are suspicions that this one is not up to the job. And its broken. So make of that what you will.

We managed to find a chap with a spare for his Sentinel, which seemed like an ideal replacement, but alas, he would not part with it. Which I can understand.

Even if someone has something which we could loan, until we find something, we would be eternally grateful.

Or better still, if someone had the genuine Fowler article, I would happily come and lick hot clinker from your fire-grate.
That sounds a bit rude! I didn't mean it to, But you get the picture.
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th January 2016, 09:33 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Andrew Gibb

I have patterns for a Super Sentinel steering box.
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th January 2016, 11:14 AM
Apprentice

Hi Andrew, I think if we end up manufacturing a box from scratch, then we will try to copy the original, for which I think we have drawings.
But Thankyou for getting in touch.
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th January 2016, 04:52 PM
Engineer

Full Name: stephen bullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyC View Post
Hi Andrew, I think if we end up manufacturing a box from scratch, then we will try to copy the original, for which I think we have drawings.
But Thankyou for getting in touch.
Now I'm holding a candle to the Devil a bit here, but the photograph of the waggon when in the scrap yard shows a steering box, so where did that go? As the Fowler had a very traction engine like steering wheel I'm wondering if the steering was to low geared for anything other than gulley emptying, so if I were you I'd have a good look at the drawings and see if things can be improved before making anything, maybe the thread is single start, and a double start could be made instead.
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th January 2016, 05:17 PM
Apprentice

I'm not sure, (a grown up will be along soon to correct me) but is it safe to presume that when the wagon was designed, it was designed for multiple uses, and a gully emptier was just one option?
I would be surprised if steering boxes were changed due to different body options.
The one in the scrapyard picture, which I would love to know where it went, looks like the one in the Fowler drawings, which mentions nothing about gully emptying.
However, I have been wrong before.....................
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th January 2016, 05:33 PM
Engineer

Full Name: stephen bullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyC View Post
I'm not sure, (a grown up will be along soon to correct me) but is it safe to presume that when the wagon was designed, it was designed for multiple uses, and a gully emptier was just one option?
I would be surprised if steering boxes were changed due to different body options.
The one in the scrapyard picture, which I would love to know where it went, looks like the one in the Fowler drawings, which mentions nothing about gully emptying.
However, I have been wrong before.....................
I'll send a PM
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th January 2016, 06:01 PM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

I was under the impression that the wagon was cut up into at least two sections after the picture Michael posted. The steering box would be very prone to damage in its position.
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th January 2016, 06:30 PM
Apprentice

I suspect the your right, possibly why it was replaced.
Shame we can't just pop into halfords for a new one!
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th January 2016, 06:34 PM
Apprentice

Now you mention it, I've heard stories from other folk about the chassis being cut in half.

I have also been told that that's not true, so who knows.

What I do know, is that a number of people approached the scrapyard owners(s) about buying it, but were turned away as it was already promised to Tom. So if that was the case, why would they then cut it up? It doesn't add up.
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th January 2016, 08:18 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Michael Walters

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8_10 Brass Cleaner View Post
I was under the impression that the wagon was cut up into at least two sections after the picture Michael posted. The steering box would be very prone to damage in its position.
When I first saw the remains of the wagon in about 1970 it had been cut into many more parts than just two. As I recall the following parts were missing: chassis, steering box, controls apart from the regulator, springs, brake rods, prop shaft and the front axle beam had been cut out. Another fact that you might not be aware of is that the differential worm and wheel were replaced with a differential from a Yorkshire WJ 6 wheeler. This had the effect of gearing the wagon up; if my memory is correct the original axle ratio was 6.25:1 and the replacement is 4.5:1. The reason it was replaced was that the original bronze wheel broke up when it was taken out of the rear axle for inspection. The rear axles on the Yorkshire and the Fowler were both products of Kirkstall Forge.

With regard to the steering box I would say that trying to replace on a like for like basis of what is there now would be futile since it is not heavy enough for the job. I don't know what to suggest other than something from a similar size of steam wagon.

It has just occurred to me that the wagon that was cut in two would be the Sentinel DG6P that Tom had. That was purchased from Hardwicks along with the back end of a Super on the occasion that we went there to try to find the remains of a Fowler wagon that they had cut up many years before.