Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > Wanted Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Wanted Adverts Steam items and equipment Wanted.

#11  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th October 2015, 04:25 PM
Engineer

Full Name: James Beynon

Thanks Nigel
Ill keep that in mind when looking for a lathe as at the mind as it sounds just the job, however sadly i don't think any of those lathes will fit my current budget however later on i could progress onto something like those.
Hi Terry
i had a look at ML7 at dingles but i think its a bit on the small size to be honest as i would get me started i would rather wait a little to avoid having to outsource much of the work. Also from my experience most things at dingles tend to go for silly money! have fun at internal fire, must head up there sometime!
James
  #12  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th October 2015, 05:45 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Terry Fairbrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendy View Post
Thanks Nigel

Hi Terry
i had a look at ML7 at dingles but i think its a bit on the small size to be honest as i would get me started i would rather wait a little to avoid having to outsource much of the work. Also from my experience most things at dingles tend to go for silly money! have fun at internal fire, must head up there sometime!
James
Seems we are pretty much in the same boat. Anything above 9" swing is usually expensive, heavy and far away. I don't see a need (for me) to get anything bigger than 11" as it would be a one time deal to build an engine so i'm happy to pass those jobs on.

There is a 16" swing lathe on ebay down in plymouth, but its a combination lathe

Terry
  #13  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th October 2015, 06:54 PM
Engineer

Ah yes it seems like it, ill have a look at that as im after something around a foot swing as id like to think the LS wont be the last engine i build, however like you say its a combination lathe.
Im sure something will come along soon enough thouugh
james
  #14  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th October 2015, 09:44 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Mr Steamy One.

This Dean Smith & Grace is not far away in Kingsbridge.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dean-Smith...3D201443950568
  #15  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th October 2015, 10:42 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Terry Fairbrother

Took the plunge and brought this today http://www.warco.co.uk/metal-lathes-...80v-lathe.html also getting some tooling included as they would do that at the engineering show in a couple of weeks. Yes, it's chinese but should do what I ask of it and is small enough to go into the workshop without too much issue.
  #16  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th October 2015, 09:14 AM
Engineer

Lathes made by the lesser known manufacturers tend to sell for much less than Myfords ETC.

This Denford is well equipped yet has not attracted a bid at £750 yet, a quality machine .

It is finishing tonight.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1618419154...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
  #17  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th October 2015, 07:50 PM
Engineer

Hi steamy one.
i will have a look at the dean and grace as it looks very promising and seems relitivly local, has anybody on here had any time or knowledge about the quality of the dean and grace lathes.
sadly ive just missed that denford.

Hi Terry
Ive got a warco super major mill and it seems rather nice so far, however its no bridgeport. you should be ok with that and i imagine it will be sufficient for you. I know quite a few people with warco machinery and they all seem fairly happy with it after a few tweaks here and there.
James
  #18  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th October 2015, 08:10 PM
Engineer

The Denford sold for £783.50, a bargain for someone.

Dean Smith and Grace Lathes have a good reputation.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/dsg/index.html
  #19  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th October 2015, 09:38 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamy1 View Post
The Denford sold for £783.50, a bargain for someone.

Dean Smith and Grace Lathes have a good reputation.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/dsg/index.html
i will see how i get on, i now have several options so thanks to all who have helped. hopefully i will have a lathe soon enough
  #20  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th October 2015, 09:23 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Carl Byrne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendy View Post
Hi steamy one.
has anybody on here had any time or knowledge about the quality of the dean and smith and grace lathes
James
You don't have worry about the quality!!!!

Provided it hasn't been used by a monkey it will most likely be excellent.

Two points to look for:

1. Some models are prone to oil failure as most have the oil tank in the base of the bed and the lube pump is at the top of the headstock driven off the clutch shaft. If the machine has been left idle for a long time the gear pump will not self-prime and lube will fail. If you can, lift off the headstock lid and see if oil is everywhere - walk away if it isn't, as too much damage might already have been caused to the spindle bearings and the clutch. If this has happened you will immediately be hit with the smell of burnt oil.

2. The Matrix clutch is an oil bath clutch, but it sits out of the oil, so it relies on the pumped supply. No oil > worn/destroyed clutch !! Clutch plates are around £60 each and there are around 20 in each clutch - forward and reverse. If the machine is under power check the clutches are working by engaging a high gear and look/listen for slip. Mechanically the clutches are easy to adjust but many people over tighten them which leads to damage and premature wear. If the clutch needs changing you should walk away unless the price takes account of this.

I have repaired a few DSGs and all parts are available from DSG (regardless of who owns the company that year) - made to order. Prices are not cheap but quality is excellent. I changed two headstock gears and the brake on the 1609 in work and the parts came to £1200. Incidentally the damage was initially caused by a lube failure, but the real damage was done by the idiot who continued to use the lathe despite the screeching noise coming from the failing brake! Even this particular idiot should have realised something was wrong.

Cheers Carl.