Old 20th July 2016, 08:47 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Jimmy Vardy
Default Somerset Steam and Country Show July 16th-17th 2016

#2  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th July 2016, 09:16 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Doug Meller

Quick question, is the Fowler DD type ploughing engine "My delight" a piston valve engine? I note from Steam Scenes that it had widening rings bolted to the front wheels at some point in time. In some regards (the wheels) it reminds me of the Fowler Farmer's engine. Can anyone shed more light on the DD class as this is the first I have ever seen.

Thanks,

Doug
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st July 2016, 05:59 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Rob Dickinson

The answer is yes. This from the recent Keeley sale page from Cheffins:

http://www.cheffins.co.uk/lot/-1190039-vintage-0

“ 1914 John Fowler ploughing engine Class DD. No. 13910. Reg No: AB9987. 8nhp. Single cylinder 'My Delight' This small 8nhp ploughing engine is thought to be the only survivor of this class of single cylinder piston valve engine. It left Fowlers works on 05/09/1914 as one of a pair of identical engines and delivered to SA & HA Whittome of Ely, Cambs, then passing through the hands of Samuel Jackson of Cheshire in 1917 and Philip E Bomford of Worcester in 1921, finishing its working life with WR Johnston of Bufton, Warks, where its sister engine No. 13909 was scrapped. The Fowler was bought for preservation in 1958 by John Younger of Birtley, Co. Durham who named her 'My Delight'. The engine was a familiar sight on northern rally fields for a couple of decades in the hands of Hubert Nixon and John Bainbridge before passing to John Keeley in 1992. There are several old boiler reports available for inspection (one of which states it was rebuilt in 1986) and the engine was last taxed and insured in 2002, since when it has been dry stored. With its salter safety valves and unusually fitted with Fowler governors, this is a rare and historically important Fowler.”
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st July 2016, 08:46 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Jim Wilkinson

They also made a superheated version of this class ,but this is the only one to survive of either type.
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st July 2016, 10:51 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Steve Ward

This is a superheated engine with the superheater removed, if you look closely at the picture above at the front of the cylinder you can see the pipe come out and back in its just above the piston end cap.

Hertfordshire steam engine preservation society.
www.hertssteam.co.uk
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st July 2016, 11:36 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: kenneth fox

Was there any ID on the roller of your first photo
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd July 2016, 05:57 AM
Apprentice

Full Name: Jason Dean

Yes it had an id plate it's 4 numbers before King Harry will cheak up and let you know later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd July 2016, 08:42 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Paul Abbott

The big roller is J & H McLaren No 1148.

Paul
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd July 2016, 10:57 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Jimmy Vardy

The school master said on my school report many times all those years ago must do better, with this in mind I can see that photos must have text to keep T.T. more useful and perhaps more interesting, I check exhibits that are not in the programme so could put the information numbers etc up and will aim to do so in the future, Somerset did lack anything exceptional although it was an enjoyable event perhaps due to my interest in Lorries, Tractors and Steam so I had to include several exhibits not steam but Rallies are made up of other exhibits and luckily they keep Rallies going, the number of Tractors at Somerset was I was told around 190, the event has always been known for the tractor exhibits, I try to pick the slightly unusual to photograph, Lagonda Car, International 600 Tractor Petrol/TVO, Newman Tractor, Early WW11 orange Standard, the small and larger Classic commercials, but the Late Len Crane "Wolverhampton Wanderer" stood out among the steam exhibits.