Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 7th July 2014, 04:01 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Martin Stubbins
Default Melford Rally

I thought I would start this thread so we can post some pictures..
Was a great weekend overall, a few glitches on the Saturday, but the less said about that the better.
lets try and keep the this thread clean and concentrate on the positives
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th July 2014, 07:43 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Matt Garwood
Default Lets start with these.

Glitches ????
Well Mr Chairman let me start with some I took.
First was this one of our younger member standing by his priced roller ready for the rally. William and crew roaded her over through the rain the Saturday before the show to make sure she was there on time. The first vehicle on site and he was up bright and early on the Saturday to get her ready for the show. Such dedication to make sure we abided by the rally rules.

[IMG][/IMG]

The second is of the next generation doing what they should, learning the ropes with enthusiasm and joy. I’m just pleased we have these shows that encourage the future custodians to participate. This is real forward thinking from the organisers. So hats off to them.

[IMG][/IMG]

Finally thought I’d add this one in. Pity he wasn’t there quite as early as some but may be diesel do have some advantages don’t you think Mr Vine.

#3  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th July 2014, 08:07 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Adam Brown

I'm going to try and keep this positive but I think some of the muddled HSE based thinking needs pointing out. This was my second time at the event and first as an exhibitor

Last year the miniatures had an open field to play on and could move around the site freely. The site being so large and the layout so open it lends itself to this perfectly which adds to the enjoyment for owners and punters alike, last year Stuart Hines took the Aveling up the beer tent on the Sunday or Saturday afternoon. It was great to attend a rally with a sensible view to engine movements, owners also managed to keep away from the busier narrower areas of the site by simply applying common sense

Fast forward to this year and the miniatures were confined to the engine lines 'for safety reasons'. The site and layout hadn't changed and the ground conditions were good, the owners were also told this after they'd arrived and raised steam. I spoke to a committee member about this and pointed out HSE is about Sensible Risk Management not just judging everything as dangerous and banning it. I believe there were other similar issues with the bigger engines

Perhaps it would have been better for the committee to ask a steam person (or two one for models and one for full size) to come along to a meeting where they could put forward their safety concerns and the steam people could explain how it works at other events and how we could all work together to manage the risk and continue to fully enjoy the event. Also it would not be unreasonable to inform exhibitors of the restrictions before they turn up, then they can choose if the new rules are something they wish to accept or if they wish to try a different event

This all said Long Melford is an enjoyable event in an fantastic setting and the rally was certainly well attended on the Sunday, the weather putting people off on the Saturday I think. I hope everything can be sorted out for next year so we can all enjoy the show to its fullest extent, I'll post some photos later when my camera has been revived!
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th July 2014, 08:28 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Daniel Chidgey

This was my first time ever at Melford and I must have I had a great time there with 'George' .

Everyone I spoke to was very friendly and I think everyone who helped out on my engine had a great time as well.

Here are a few pics from the rally.

(Starting with my favourite picture)

#5  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th July 2014, 10:56 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Adam Brown

#6  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th July 2014, 07:06 PM
Engineer

Full Name: mark vine

Finally thought I’d add this one in. Pity he wasn’t there quite as early as some but may be diesel do have some advantages don’t you think Mr Vine.

[/QUOTE]

You forget Matt, I was running in a new engine !
By the way, the Rally director Mr Preston, was heard to say " I have sorted out the commercials, now I am working on the steam section, after arriving at the rally the owner of a diesel roller came in and offered to roll the parade ring before having his tea, Diesel engine rollers are the future.

Mark.
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th July 2014, 07:39 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Bruce Smith

I would like to add, that Mr Vine was seen over the weekend driving a proper STEAM powered roller. STEAM is the future !! LOL

If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have got an electrical problem !
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th July 2014, 11:15 PM
Engineer

Full Name: james peter brett
Location: Loddon, Norfolk & Nassington East Northamptonshire.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark vine View Post
Rally director Mr Preston, was heard to say " I have sorted out the commercials, now I am working on the steam section

Mark.
Natel was talking to Some one Saturday evening when getting drinking water who said he was a committee member, who had a less than positive out look regarding the steam section, which Natel apparently found upsetting. Our steward for the steam section (Colin Cracknel) looks after us well and has always been polite and friendly towards us.

I know there was a few issues this year, but I love Long Melford Rally, and have been going since 2007 (firstly with Natel and then with my own model Burrell), and always well looked after.

I think the main issue regarding model steam driving around, was the prevention of them driving around the stalls, which is standard practice at most shows. They still had 3 avenues to drive around and there was a large open space at the top of the showground.

Many thanks to the organizers of Long Melford, hope to see you again next year.

(When we preserve our heritage, we protect our future!)

Lord Brett, Bygones Manor, Chedgrave, Loddon, Norwich, Norfolk