Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#41  Post / In Thread 
Old 13th December 2020, 11:05 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Chris Smith

There is nothing stopping any engine owner from steaming up and going for the occasional road run, even in the company of one or two others if they share a shed. The world does not revolve around large events, and personally I think those of today are a far cry from what they were 20 years ago.
  #42  Post / In Thread 
Old 13th December 2020, 11:36 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Bob Allison

I seem to remember stirring the pot here years ago with a thread called Why Rallies ?
  #43  Post / In Thread 
Old 13th December 2020, 04:42 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adam Tyler

......and my answer to any "Why?" question is in most cases "Why not?" Don't challenge anyone, if you don't want to be challenged back. Just saying
  #44  Post / In Thread 
Old 13th December 2020, 04:53 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adam Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM537 View Post
There is nothing stopping any engine owner from steaming up and going for the occasional road run, even in the company of one or two others if they share a shed. The world does not revolve around large events, and personally I think those of today are a far cry from what they were 20 years ago.
I do question what things such as monster trucks and stunt bikes have anything to do with rallies. GDSF in 2018 just showed how many engines can be exhibited on-site. If they get rid of all the unnecessary nonsense, they could expand vintage vehicles, stationary engines, etc. In my mind, they could even hypothetically manage to fit 600+ full size engines for the 60th Anniversary, if they really wanted to
  #45  Post / In Thread 
Old 14th December 2020, 08:28 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Adam Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Boy Hertford View Post
I do question what things such as monster trucks and stunt bikes have anything to do with rallies. GDSF in 2018 just showed how many engines can be exhibited on-site. If they get rid of all the unnecessary nonsense, they could expand vintage vehicles, stationary engines, etc. In my mind, they could even hypothetically manage to fit 600+ full size engines for the 60th Anniversary, if they really wanted to
You miss the point. The public largely don't care if its 300, 400, 500 engines. They want a days entertainment. For us, walking around 500 engines was great but I'll bet most of the public didn't bother.

Dorset is a spectacle, most rallies can't afford the number of engines they do have turning up. At your average event what do the public at large get from 40 engines that they can't enjoy in 20?

Face it, Steam is still a draw but it isn't the 'main event' any more really.
  #46  Post / In Thread 
Old 14th December 2020, 10:42 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Peter Harris

It boils down to what the public want and making the rally at least break even.
  #47  Post / In Thread 
Old 14th December 2020, 01:56 PM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Interesting conversation with the nurse at our local GP this morning. While having the flu jab.

What are we? a week or so in from the first vaccination.

Basically its being rolled out, and fast. Tier 3 is getting priority vs Tier 1 etc. The care home residents are being managed outside of her knowledge (they are Priority 1 as per government guidance)

The Priority 2 is 80+, and front line workers, and this is being managed in Tier 3 areas directly via the bigger doctors surgeries as hubs to get it done quicker (Staffs is tier 3 - where the wife works), but we are in Tier 2 in Shropshire and it is being managed via the hospitals at present.

It seems at present there is enough about to do about 50% of that identified group, and they have 3 1/2 days to dispense it before it needs binning. Fundamentally they invite, any no shows etc means they are ringing round down the list so they use it all. Target wastage is zero. She said the advice is if its going to waste, find a willing victim, any victim and use it. Which will probably mean the non front line staff get a dose.

Advice is enough for the next 50% of target group is due in the next week or so from Belgium. The advice is that Brexit, no matter the outcome will not effect this.

The advice internally to the staff was assuming the Oxford vaccine gets the nod from the boffins then things will ramp up another 4 or 5 notches as this seems to be a far easier stuff to dispense. Basically once it gets the nod things will go ballistic as there is sh1t loads of it in production and on the shelf.

Both need 2 helpings, but dose 1 gives significant protection. Dose 2 gives the advertised immunity.

We were on the mop up Flu, our letters having gone missing in the post, which was rather worrying!.
  #48  Post / In Thread 
Old 14th December 2020, 06:39 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Andy Petra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8_10 Brass Cleaner View Post

We were on the mop up Flu, our letters having gone missing in the post, which was rather worrying!.
Good grief you dont rely on getting the letter we dont ever bother with the letter, just keep an eye on the local health centers newsfeed and once they say they have the flu jab in I'm on the blower booking my wife, me and my mother in. We had ours back in late October from memory, was a while ago now.

My one advice with the NHS is never rely on anything, its not the individuals fault but the system, as I know the individuals work exceptionally hard for little praise.
  #49  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th December 2020, 10:16 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Kevin Hall
Default ???????????

May be its the bright buggers that are writing all the software for the health care, etc etc that are not allowing them to share basic essential information from one to another!!!!!! Its called data information what a **** up.
  #50  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th December 2020, 11:49 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Thomas Bowden

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidner View Post
I think that all we can count on is continued chaos .
Rant drowned at birth !
It's like Fred Carno's Circus.