Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd August 2014, 08:05 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: West of England Steam Engine Society
Default WESES Granite Haulage

100 years ago Steam was the motive power to move large blocks of granite from the quarries of this area to the monumental works of Freeman & Mcleod in Penryn.

110 years ago 2 large granite blocks, one of 54 tons and one of 48 tons left a quarry in the Polkanuggo valley just the Helston side of Longdowns. These blocks were used to create the base of the King Alfred monument in Winchester.

This year at approximately 12pm on Sunday 10th of August plans are afoot to relive steam on the 'Old Granite Road'. At this time Steve Saunders (grandson of a granite worker of those days) and Robin Daniel are planning to take a large block of granite from Longdowns down into Penryn, passing the former granite works, (now boat yards, Falmouth side of Penryn Bridge). The engines will then continue to Dales roundabout before starting a climb of about 500 feet back to Longdowns, via Asda Roundabout and Mabe Village on route to Longdowns. Two large steam engines ascending both Nanturrian and Antron hills should be quite spectacular.

Both these engines can then be seen at the upcoming 'Cornish Steam & Country Fair' at Stithians Showground TR3 7DP (15th-17th August 2014)
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd August 2014, 08:25 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: West of England Steam Engine Society

Sorry, should read 'Steve Sanders' the joys of copy & paste!
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd August 2014, 10:19 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Matt Cain

That will be a stunning sight going up the hill from Dales roundabout, I do hope someone will be videoing it as I won't be able to see it in person. Good luck.

Matt
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 4th August 2014, 05:00 PM
Admin / Mod

Full Name: David Collidge

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESES View Post
100 years ago Steam was the motive power to move large blocks of granite from the quarries of this area to the monumental works of Freeman & Mcleod in Penryn.

110 years ago 2 large granite blocks, one of 54 tons and one of 48 tons left a quarry in the Polkanuggo valley just the Helston side of Longdowns. These blocks were used to create the base of the King Alfred monument in Winchester.
Here is a picture of the original operation in 1903 which is in an old NTEC Heavy Haulage book I have:

The engines are Freeman engines Fowler 7974 & 9016, discussed on here previously.

I have seen other pictures of this operation en-route, I'll see if I can sort them out.

The monument still stands in Winchester, this gives some indication as to the size of the granite block!

I'm going over on Sunday to record the event.
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 4th August 2014, 08:34 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Stephen Sanders
Default WESES GRANITE

Please note i feel it is important to point out that the granite we are taking on sunday will not be as heavy as it was back then, this is not out of choice but due to many reasons and regulations.thank you in advance to everybody that is coming along to watch...steve
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 4th August 2014, 10:56 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: James Locke

Thinking about traveling down for this which hill do do you think would be best to spectate on and where is the best place to park?
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 4th August 2014, 11:55 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adrian Menear

I would imagine that a good hill would be at the top of the A39, 2nd round about from TR10 8AB. There is a lay-by a little further up the A39 from the Hill Head roundabout that may be ok for parking

If you look on Google maps you will see an escape lane, so it's a fair old hill Looking forward to it
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 5th August 2014, 07:19 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Charles Daniel

I spent the afternoon yesterday helping my brother to load the solid tyred trailer, the one we used last year for the boiler haulage at Trevithick Day,so he could take it to Penryn.

Both engines and the trailer are now in the right area so it looks like all systems are set to go.
Charlie D
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th August 2014, 08:49 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Jim Wilkinson

Exellent stuff! There seems to be a lot of engines on the move next W.E. & the one after!
I've known that photo for years , but it was only this year I saw another one taken from the front with both engines copled together on the front.
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th August 2014, 09:01 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Jim Wilkinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00000 View Post
Exellent stuff! There seems to be a lot of engines on the move next W.E. & the one after!
Fowler PE 15529 roading this Saturday from Bocconnoc to Stithians ,with Steve Gunn, Jim Winkworth, myself, & Tyrone & Kielan James catching up with us later on.