Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#21  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th August 2013, 07:26 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Robin Marshman

David 2005, was the best rally ever held on that site! One of the best events I have ever attended! The road run was something else!
  #22  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th August 2013, 07:40 PM
Engineer

Full Name: John Reeves

Thank you David for this comment. You are, of course, absolutely right. And it is not only the West of England rally that has suffered, and not only rallies - a well known classic commercial vehicle road run that I have attended as a participant since its inception in 2000 was down to about 25 entries this year. I see a lot of rallies 'from the inside', not as a one day visitor. I have been a WESES member for many years, and one of their commentary team since 2002, when I took over a couple of years after Alan's untimely death. I have never had anything to do with the organisation of the event. I would be the last to claim that Stithians as a venue, or the event is perfect, but what event is? And why, in heaven's name, cite other rallies and state that you are going to attend them next year? What's the point? There was a good atmosphere at this year's event - and I was there from Thursday night to Monday morning - and I stood in the rain on Saturday commentating on miniature traction engines in their arena. A lot of people put a lot of effort into the event - if you can do better, then do it..... (Rant over....)

Somerset Steam and Country Show
Low Ham, Langport, July 15th, 16th, 17th, 2016
www.somersettractionengineclub.com
  #23  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th August 2013, 08:03 PM
Engineer

Full Name: lew lewis
Default comment

WELL SAID JOHN
  #24  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st August 2013, 12:44 AM
Banned

Full Name: Tom Bowden

Interesting comments about disabled parking as last year there was plenty by the gate but the attendant was adamant that I had to park at the end of a line 200 yards away even when he saw me lifiting my Rollator 4 wheeled walking aid with a seat, out of the boot of my car to be able to walk anywhere. It is true that St Agnes became a mud pit when it rained and Stithians by it's very position drains quite well after heavy rain. Perhaps WESES should consider a more central site for their rallies in future such as the Royal Cornwall Showground at Wadebridge?
  #25  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st August 2013, 05:43 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Jacob Kistle

Someone tried holding a rally there before, it failed
  #26  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st August 2013, 06:45 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Charles Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowler_Man View Post
Someone tried holding a rally there before, it failed
I think failed is not quite true. The CTPC held three annual rallies there in the late 60's. The lure of permanent toilets,hard access roads,turnstile entrances at the pay gate, and, yes a public telephone box was, attractive. The first two events were good. However the third event was ruined by heavy rain and reinstatement costs were astronomical. The club could not afford to go back there.

Permanent sites such as this and Stithians have many advantages but the greatest disadvantage is that the show cannot be set out the way it should be. At the latter engines are not allowed on the areas where they should be- either side of the entrance gate. There is no room for the working section to be in the same area as the engine park and the enginemens camping area is in the middle of the show!

It is easy to forget that the previous field used by WESES at Tywarnhayle farm was much more weather friendly; the land had not been worked over for years and was much harder. I recall driving engines through puddles of water getting to the parade ring.However the policy of allowing the rally to be overcome by hundreds of non steam vehicles dictated a move to the larger field which had been worked over annually for many years.Even in dry weather this field was soft, one year when we had our ploughing engines working there I found the Fowler making heavy weather of pulling the cultivator out of the field in big wheel at the end of the day.The wheels were leaving ruts 3 or 4inches deep in the unworked part of the field.As I knew there was a move afoot to move the rally into this field I reported this fact but it fell on deaf ears.

Charlie D
  #27  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st August 2013, 08:21 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Jim Wilkinson

Well, we used to plough that field every year for one, didnt we !
Even so , the rallys there had a better atmophere than Stithians I'm afraid. But I must say well done to the committee for trying & carrying on.having dabbled in organising in the past I wouldnt like the job now ,one day of rain is unfortunate & cant be helped.
  #28  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st August 2013, 08:38 AM
Apprentice

Full Name: Mike Thomas

For me the number of full size engines present was pretty good, especially given the financial position we're all in these days!

The bigger issue is the direction the society is taking the rally. We are losing the very thing we want to see - steam engines doing what they do best. Although some engines were moving around the Stithians site it was a nightmare for their crews. Everything is so cramped and congested. The working area was small and limited in what could be demonstrated.

I feel the scope of the rally had changed for the worse. We've lost context with too many unrelated activities. For example a large area of the site dedicated to 4 x 4 displays and a large area for a motorbike display team. What have these to do with a vintage rally?
Similarly I feel there are too many commercial vehicles, cars and tractors for what should primarily be a steam rally. All are beautifully restored and a credit to their owners but they are out of context - many very few years old and certainly not from the era and age of steam.
Heavy horses and rural craft displays are great because they are contemporary with the steam age.

The fair too missed the point. At a vintage rally this should have rides from that bygone age, not modern rides!

I think a return to basics is what's needed no matter where the rally is held.

Lastly, what about a site owned by the society? I throw this into the ring without any idea of all the implications of such an idea - I freely admit that :-)
Such a site could be developed and landscaped using the very machines so many members own. Possibly the land could then also be used for other events throughout the year.
Probably a crazy idea but then there are lots of us crazy folk out there.

Mike

Sent from my PIPO Max M1 using Tapatalk4
  #29  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st August 2013, 10:06 AM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie D View Post
I think failed is not quite true. The CTPC held three annual rallies there in the late 60's. The lure of permanent toilets,hard access roads,turnstile entrances at the pay gate, and, yes a public telephone box was, attractive. The first two events were good. However the third event was ruined by heavy rain and reinstatement costs were astronomical. The club could not afford to go back there.

Charlie D
So it failed.... Didnt make enough money over 2 years to allow for a wet year on that site.
  #30  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st August 2013, 10:17 AM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie D View Post

It is easy to forget that the previous field used by WESES at Tywarnhayle farm was much more weather friendly; the land had not been worked over for years and was much harder. I recall driving engines through puddles of water getting to the parade ring.
The rally at its best!