Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#21  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th July 2013, 09:13 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Jordan Greenaway

Nice to see the 6" foden my grandad built is still around. It's 30 years old this year

yer we Owen it now looks good still
  #22  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th July 2013, 09:29 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Craig Colledge

Someone did say today that the big roller was sent to Argentina when they were going to build the bridge over to the Falklands that never happened. Maybe that's were it came back from ?. I also herd it was out in Saudi flattening the sand dunes for a new Butlins Holiday Park. Whatever im not sure but i did here that the correct number is 9087 and built in 1901. Anyone got a photo of the plate with the number on, I couldn't see one on the boiler lagging ?
  #23  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th July 2013, 09:38 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Sam Bozson

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_smith View Post
Richard Morris debuted his Mclaren No 1295 at Welland this weekend, first time ever at a rally in steam. She was roaded in after a few minor teething problems on route and will be roading to South Cerney on Monday, a route of 44 miles including up Birdlip Hill. Well done Richard with your 10 year meticulous rebuild of this fabulous engine and good to catch up with our old living van as well.
Be careful on Birdlip Hill!!!!!!!!

Fodens and Fosters, and all of the rest, they're only competing to be second best!
  #24  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th July 2013, 10:07 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Lar Dowding

going up is fine its coming down thats the problem
  #25  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th July 2013, 11:01 PM
Engineer

Full Name: David Bosworth

I believe Evening Star aka 'Birdlip' came to grief going up
  #26  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th July 2013, 05:51 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Andy Roan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowlers are the best View Post
Be careful on Birdlip Hill!!!!!!!!
Birdlip or Crikley ?? Birdlip (often confused with Crikley Hill which is now the A417) is a narrow hill that lies to the South west and is an extension of the Roman road Ermin Street. Up and past Witcombe.and historically was used as a test hill for Cotton motorcycles. Nonetheless it is a steep hill with lots of bends and would make both engine and driver work very hard indeed.

Guess it will be Crikley and that will indeed make a sight and also upset a few of the HGV's that will be stuck behind !!! Good halfway parking point to watch proceedings and get some pics.
  #27  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th July 2013, 08:32 AM
Engineer

Full Name: matthew cobb

Did anyone get any photo's of "Midnight" & "Duke Of York" pulling the load up the hill before the rain came on Saturday?

Regards

Matt
  #28  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th July 2013, 09:39 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Neil Armstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocky_1987 View Post
Firstly the lovely ITALIAN roller:

Hope that's staying as a roller

Quote:
And then the amazing McLaren:

Looks like Wakehams Mac has been on the steroids!!

Quote:
Is that Phil Mitchell on the Marshall roller?
  #29  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th July 2013, 10:37 AM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistling Willie View Post
Birdlip or Crikley ?? Birdlip (often confused with Crikley Hill which is now the A417) is a narrow hill that lies to the South west and is an extension of the Roman road Ermin Street. Up and past Witcombe.and historically was used as a test hill for Cotton motorcycles. Nonetheless it is a steep hill with lots of bends and would make both engine and driver work very hard indeed.

Guess it will be Crikley and that will indeed make a sight and also upset a few of the HGV's that will be stuck behind !!! Good halfway parking point to watch proceedings and get some pics.
When I took the Marshall from Much Marcle to Kemble a few years ago I looked at going up 'Birdlip', that is the old road as you describe.

I chose not to because there is a 7.5T statutory restriction on it. I guess an environmental restriction to stop the HGV's in the event the A417 is snarled up.

I didn't contemplate the A417 and Crickley and if truth be told I didnt fancy a run down the dualled part of the A417 to Cirencester.

There are two problems getting from that part of the world to Cirencester, one is the river Severn, the other where to climb up out towards Cirencester.

I did look at going via Gloucester and Stroud which was quite attractive, given Marcle is a little more west than Welland, but it was a route completely unfamiliar to me, and in the end we laid up after marcle at Eldersfield, a fair bit further east than Marcle.

In the end I chose to cross the river at Tirley (there are only three choices North to South - Tewkesbury - Tirely and Maismore), go through Cheltenham and climb the hill on the A435 near Charlton Kings. This was having been given some 'gen' on the route by Messrs Arrowsmith and Milns. Basically it seemed to be the typical route from Welland to Kemble. Mr Smith was at the same start point lighting up 'Dorothy' having been at Welland and seemed to be going the same way. In any event they left later and, despite our leisurely lunch at the Pub at The Severn Springs they didn't overtake me, though they did arrive fairly soon after we did!.

anyways, I hope Richard is having a nice run, its just the right sort of distance for a fast engine without getting hard work
  #30  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th July 2013, 11:42 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Guy Debes

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigctt View Post
Someone did say today that the big roller was sent to Argentina when they were going to build the bridge over to the Falklands that never happened. Maybe that's were it came back from ?. I also herd it was out in Saudi flattening the sand dunes for a new Butlins Holiday Park. Whatever im not sure but i did here that the correct number is 9087 and built in 1901. Anyone got a photo of the plate with the number on, I couldn't see one on the boiler lagging ?
The Fowler works plate was riveted to the near side horn plate extension just above the rear wheel and covered with paper and grease to deter people from touching it !