Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#11  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th March 2010, 04:34 PM
Engineer

Full Name: :

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&WLR Harry View Post
...Where else do you get to see engines as they were (Albeit a bit rustier) in their working days...

I'm not about to pass comment on Thursford, but with regard to Aveling rollers that can still be seen as they were in their working days...

...I can certainly think of one that was steaming within the last 12 months in essentially the same condition as when the council last used it in the 1960's The engine in question also has lived outside with just a basic sheet over the motion for a number of years - much the same as how the council kept & used it!
  #12  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th March 2010, 05:03 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Dave Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir John View Post
It baffles me why anyone would let someone walk round their property with a camera just so they can then come on here to moan about it.

At least they were saved from the scrap man in the first place.

Come to think of it at least they are covered, many an engine I know isn't all year round.

If it was my collection, I would read this bollocks and shut the gates and keep them shut.

If you want an engine, there are plenty for sale. Go buy one. You can then keep it how you see fit.

Just an opinion. No harm intended.
I just thought I better clear something up, moaning and having an oppinion on something is slightly different. I respect your oppinion as I hope you respect others, however moaning is the wrong word, in my oppinion! hehe

In regards to them saving them from the scrap man, they have all my respect and thanks, but maybe they need to think about the next chapter of these engines life.

There are as Ian said still a few engines in steam, that are in working clothes, there is no reason engines can't be in a maintained state, but still be in working clothes.

Right I better go now, before I get told off. Just to clarify, this is not aimed at Thursford, this is a comment in general!!

Cheers

Dave
  #13  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th March 2010, 07:23 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Kev Mills

To be honest I think "they" do a fairly good job. I am guessing the majority of the indoor engines are kept buffed up by volunteers? If so, hats off to them. It is a struggle sometimes to keep engines which are steamable in a presentable state when they are parked in the shed, let alone the huge number they have over there!
I've no problem with them being there. Some of the engines (rollers mainly) are not in working clothes, they are derelict and I can see those being sold eventually. For the time being at least they are well sheeted up.
  #14  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th March 2010, 07:36 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Neil Armstrong

Quote:
It baffles me why anyone would let someone walk round their property with a camera just so they can then come on here to moan about it.

At least they were saved from the scrap man in the first place.
Yes they were saved from the scrapman, but the engines in the yard are still deteriorating.

The best thing for the engines in the yard if they're never going to be housed in the museum would be to sell them to someone who would jump at the chance of owning &/or restoring an engine of their own.

The revenue the sales of these engines would bring could then be used to restore some of the other engines in the museum (or at least get the Showmans engines steamable again)

I'm sure George would rather them be restored & enjoyed rather than wasting away in the open.
  #15  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th March 2010, 07:41 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Kev Mills

An engine wears a little every time you light a fire in it Neil. It is a shame, but they are covered up (which they were not for a long time) and they are probably going to be in the same condition as they are now if they stay put for another decade. Their time will come.
  #16  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th March 2010, 08:11 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Matt S

Again, its all about personal opinion which is fine.

But Neil, when you buy them and own them you can do what you want with them.

They ain't no one elses property but the man that owns them. He is entitled to do whatever he likes with them and doesn't really deserve the same old right or wrong mumbles and grumbles he gets every year.

(Footnote: I really hope no one lifted sheets or covers to get close ups)
  #17  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th March 2010, 08:20 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Jim Stanley

Quote:
It baffles me why anyone would let someone walk round their property with a camera just so they can then come on here to moan about it. More opinions rather than moaning.

At least they were saved from the scrap man in the first place. So they could sit there 50 years later and rot?

Come to think of it at least they are covered, many an engine I know isn't all year round.

If it was my collection, I would read this bollocks and shut the gates and keep them shut. Hardly a wise move when its people coming through the gate who pays the bills and wages!

If you want an engine, there are plenty for sale. Go buy one. You can then keep it how you see fit. Is that right?

Just an opinion. No harm intended.
Ditto
  #18  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st March 2010, 07:25 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Matt S

It baffles me why anyone would let someone walk round their property with a camera just so they can then come on here to moan about it. More opinions rather than moaning. As is mine, clearly stated.

At least they were saved from the scrap man in the first place. So they could sit there 50 years later and rot? At least they are still with us and not manhole covers

If it was my collection, I would read this bollocks and shut the gates and keep them shut. Hardly a wise move when its people coming through the gate who pays the bills and wages! Are the engines in this topic available for public viewing all year? I thought it was an invitation from the owner to view this particular selection of the collection, as it is off the main site. My mistake perhaps

If you want an engine, there are plenty for sale. Go buy one. You can then keep it how you see fit. Is that right? Yes there are plenty, if your looking for an Aveling Roller I can put you in touch with 4 or 5 owners currently trying to sell one.

Just an opinion. No harm intended. I only expressed mine. You don't have to agree with me - lol
  #19  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st March 2010, 09:14 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Bob Allison

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&WLR Harry View Post
I myself really enjoyed looking round (First time) - i must admit to begin with i was a bit sceptical and thought that it'd be much better getting them all into steam... BUT when i left i'd completly changed my mind.

Where else do you get to see engines as they were (Albeit a bit rustier) in their working days. I think thats its a godsend that people like me who never got to see them in their comercial lifes can finally see what they would have been like years ago and expecially since most of them are in their original paint. If i was restoring an engine (Especially and A&P Roller) i would be extremely grateful that i would be able to see some of the features that are sadly not often seen on engines nowadays for various reasons.

And leaving engines outside? I obviously don't know about their financial situation but if they had enough money i'm sure they would put the rest of the engines under propper cover!

I have however the viewpoint that if they have two engines which are pretty much the same then maybe it would be worth restoring/selling them to get them into steam.

I don't want to start an argument here - everyone has their own opinions!
It may be that the whole lot are in a trust and that they cannot be sold off piecemeal .
  #20  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st March 2010, 10:31 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Dave Riley

Hi

We are in this position at work every day, stuff being donated can't be sold on unless certain criteria is met.

Cheers

Dave

Tags
thursford