#12  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th July 2009, 08:54 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adrian Menear

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyalc View Post
Isn't it one of the Ex King's rollers?
No I don't think so.
Of the two Kings rollers one has been converted, I believe it's now called "The Scout"
I don't know whats happened to the other one, It was for sale a long time ago, I did enquire about it at the time but don't think it got sold. A georgeuos looking roller though, there is a picture of one of them in Burrell Style.

I believe the engine in question may be 4083, ex 8 ton roller. There is a listing in the Burrell Style book that seems to corespond.
  #13  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th July 2009, 08:58 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Bob Allison

The ' Burrell Tractor Conversion ' is an interesting story , as told to me by the owner .

He tells me that this was an unsold 7.1/4 ton double crank tractor , which Burrells converted to a SC roller in order to get a sale to a local Norfolk council . It still has the winding drum and the footplate diff lock . I seem to remember that the number is 4083 which would be about 1927 , when Burrells were lucky to sell anything to anyone .

It is now very nearly a SC Burrell ' Irish ' traction engine , and certainly something which Burrells might well have made out of the 7.1/4 ton tractor / 10 ton roller / Irish engine kits of parts . One must bear in mind that at times Burrells seemed scarcely able to make two engines alike , or to decide on what a certain ' model ' of engine consisted of .
  #14  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th July 2009, 09:39 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adrian Menear

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidner View Post
The ' Burrell Tractor Conversion ' is an interesting story , as told to me by the owner .

He tells me that this was an unsold 7.1/4 ton double crank tractor , which Burrells converted to a SC roller in order to get a sale to a local Norfolk council . It still has the winding drum and the footplate diff lock . I seem to remember that the number is 4083 which would be about 1927 , when Burrells were lucky to sell anything to anyone .

It is now very nearly a SC Burrell ' Irish ' traction engine , and certainly something which Burrells might well have made out of the 7.1/4 ton tractor / 10 ton roller / Irish engine kits of parts . One must bear in mind that at times Burrells seemed scarcely able to make two engines alike , or to decide on what a certain ' model ' of engine consisted of .
Theres no doubt it's based on an 8 ton roller, which would make it smaller than an Irish engine. The Irish engine has the same boiler diameter as the 10ton rollers.
Whatever it is, it's a pretty looking engine, do you know when it was changed from a roller?
  #15  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th July 2009, 08:46 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Tom Tynan
Default Burrell Tractor

4083 was sold new to Mutford & Lothingland RDC in 1928.Converted back to tractor form by owner a few years ago and completely restored.Front wheels are aveling and a set of Burrell tractor wheels have now been located and will go on probably over the winter months.Named "So -Be-It" it really is done to a very high standard.Tom.
  #16  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th July 2009, 10:06 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Bob Allison

Mr. 4040 ,

I have just checked in Gilbert , and the 6 and 8 ton rollers based on the 5 ton tractor had a 1'10" boiler . The Irish and the 7.1/4 ton tractor and the class A roller had 2' boilers , and the same cylinder sizes , as also the ' Colonist ' engine .. The Irish engine might well have had a bigger firebox than the tractor , I shall have a look and see what Gilbert says . All this is with my aforesaid proviso about Burrells being unable to build two the same .

PS. It appears that the first 7.1/4 ton tractor had a Class A roller boiler , the other two had a firebox shallower by one row of stays .

Last edited by weidner; 11th July 2009 at 10:18 AM..