Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#11  Post / In Thread 
Old 7th June 2013, 11:51 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Steve Cockram

Quote:
Originally Posted by steaming my way View Post
Cant wait for Boconoc now!
You may get to see a Burrell there for the first time too!
  #12  Post / In Thread 
Old 7th June 2013, 01:42 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Pip

Thanks for the pictures.

The Floether is certainly a superb restoration.
  #13  Post / In Thread 
Old 7th June 2013, 09:30 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Chris

Great photos, am looking forward to going to have a look myself in the morning!
  #14  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th June 2013, 10:47 PM
Oily Rag

Full Name: Dave Cresswell

Thanks for starting this thread David, your pictures of The Leader inspired me to make the trip down to the show yesterday. It's the first time I've been to this venue and although it took a hour and a half just to get onto the car park, it was well worth the wait. Even though the number of steam exhibits is a bit limited compared to other more vintage-orientated events, the layout and quality of the exhibits was excellent. The small fair with the Howard's gallopers as the centrepiece was particularly atmospheric. It was great to see The Leader up and running again, Clive Gibbard and his team have done a fine job on the engine. I understand it went out of service in 1990 and has been worked on in Clive's workshop, when time has permitted. I made a fool of myself recently by contacting the Fairground Heritage Centre to ask them about The Leader, and of course they denied all knowledge because, as most people here probably know, although both Clive's workshop and the Heritage Centre are at Dingles, they aren't affiliated. But thanks to this thread, I was finally able to track down the engine's latest début.

Just like David, my earliest memories of The Leader are of it generating for the Wonderland organ at the magnificent steam rallies held in Newhall Street, in the centre of Birmingham. I think it attended most of the rallies there after it's major overhaul was completed in 1979, right up to it going out of service in 1990. The crew in those days was Bob Price and Andy Heeley. Andy was pleased to be back on the footplate when I visited the RCS yesterday, but sadly, Bob passed away back in May. However, Bob's wife, Sandra, was able to attend the show and she was enjoying the memories of happier times, which the engine brought back. I think having The Leader up and running is a fitting tribute to its last driver.

As Robin said, most of the pictures I’ve taken are similar to David’s, but of a lower quality. However, I do have a couple from slightly different angles:-

a few pictures of The Leader back in the 1980’s can be found in my public profile signature.

Thanks to John for posting the interview with Bill Hunt. I have a great deal of respect for Mr. Hunt and the contribution he's made to the preservation movement. I was chatting with him today at Stapleford Steam Rally and he was obviously overjoyed that The Leader was operational again. He appreciated the fact that The Leader had been generating for Dorman's Electric Yachts on the Thursday when he visited and said although the nature of the ride resulted in large fluctuations of current, The Leader took it in its stride. I understand that Mr. Hunt hopes that The Leader will attend a few rallies this year, but as of today, it hasn't been decided which ones for definite.

BTW, Robin is something of a hero with The Leader's crew, not just because of the distance he travelled for his day trip, but because he made part of his journey by bike!

Regards,

Dave.

Last edited by Dave C; 8th June 2013 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: Erronious reference to signature.
  #15  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th June 2013, 07:38 AM
Admin / Mod

Full Name: David Collidge

Thanks Dave, I'm glad this post resulted in you seeing the engine.

Dave's fantastic 1980's pictures of The Leader can be found here, exactly as I remember the engine before Thursday:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2498276...7633004955250/
  #16  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th June 2013, 06:52 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Chris

I had a good look as well and found the crew to be really friendly and were sharing stories of the engine with me, as well as offering a good look up on the footplate, something I don't get very often, so was really nice. I didn't get the chap's name but from Dave's post I can only assume it was Andy that I was speaking with. Lovely machine, first time I have had a chance to go up on a showman's.
  #17  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th June 2013, 12:58 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Pip

David, thanks for the pictures.

Not having seen a Floether in the flesh, your pictured inspired me to go and see it.

Beautiful restoration.
  #18  Post / In Thread 
Old 12th June 2013, 06:12 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Steve Cockram

Just a few of fine to add to the great photos already:

#19  Post / In Thread 
Old 12th June 2013, 08:57 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adrian Menear

A view of Leader on the footplate, it's surprising how compact the cylinder is for such a large engine.

http://www.steamscenes.org.uk/tti/12/015_0317.jpg
  #20  Post / In Thread 
Old 12th June 2013, 09:58 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Piers

The Leader is an undeniably magnificent engine, worth going to the show almost just for that..! Does anyone know which other events the engine shall be at this season?

Also, I don't suppose that anyone has a clear photo of the Maynard cutter...?

Tags
royal cornwall show