Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th February 2014, 05:13 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Peter Harris
Default Pickering

Ok Pickering is like marmite you either hate it or love it.
Just had an e-mail stateing that Pickering will not be held on the showfeild does any one know where or if it being held this year ??
requards Peter Harris ( Durham )
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th February 2014, 11:34 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Ernest Carty

Hi Peter when I attended Pickering last year it was generally supposed to be the last one ,apparently due to earlier events when organisers could not pay appearance money the reason I was given about the future was that the showfield had been sold.With regard to this year I shall have to wait until I get my copy of" Morgans Diary " to see if another event is planned to take the place of Pickering I wont receive it for over a month but if I find out any info I will let you know.
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th February 2014, 11:52 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Clive M. Fance

Something is planned - http://www.pickeringsteam.com/
Simon Boak's name appears on the ad. Have his problems been resolved? What is the name of his company?

I asked about this on TT last November, but had no response : "Can any of the recent exhibitors disclose where the Pickering rally will be in 2014 and which company is organizing it, please."
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th February 2014, 06:06 PM
Engineer

Full Name: james peter brett
Location: Loddon, Norfolk & Nassington East Northamptonshire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.M.FANCE View Post
Something is planned - http://www.pickeringsteam.com/
Simon Boak's name appears on the ad. Have his problems been resolved? What is the name of his company?

I asked about this on TT last November, but had no response : "Can any of the recent exhibitors disclose where the Pickering rally will be in 2014 and which company is organizing it, please."
Have you tried emailing at email address supplied Clive?

While not limited to Pickering, it seams such a shame our show grounds are slowly being destroyed and turned into ugly horrible housing estates. The East of England Showground at Peterborough springs to mind, seams to be more houses getting built on it everytime I go past.

(When we preserve our heritage, we protect our future!)

Lord Brett, Bygones Manor, Chedgrave, Loddon, Norwich, Norfolk
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th February 2014, 08:25 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Robin Marshman

Probably going to be shouted down but I hate the atmosphere of a rally on a show ground! They might be good for all weathers but very much in my mind lack the feel of an old fashioned steam rally!
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th February 2014, 01:50 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Craig Colledge

Pickering Steam Rally, .......... What can I say. I've been to a fare few in my time from boy to man, and in various locations and fields around the village over the years. My uncle and grandad were at the very first Pickering Steam Rally which I believe was around 1954 ish. My uncle has never missed a Pickering Steam Rally until his death in 2012. My father used to take Burrell 4062 when he owned it in the 80,s and 90,s. I remember racing my 465 Yamaha YZ at Cropton, then going straight to the rally afterwards and going on the pi$$ with the girls. Good memory's and great photographs. Unfortunatley at the 2009 event when it all went pear shaped and we were there with Royal Sovereign, I haven't been since. Me and the old man used to steam everyware in the old days with the Burrell and I remember waking everyone up on the rally field around 6am one morning when we steamed in over night and a steam pipe fractured. Good days and a good rally at its time. I'm a Yorkshireman born and bread, but now living in Worcestershire. As a Yorkshireman, stubben as hell, I won't go back since 2009, but I do hope either Simon or someone else will keep the rally going on whichever land...Pickering has always been a good rally, but Castle Howard was the best... Duncholm Park is getting near though.....only my opinion.
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th February 2014, 09:37 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Brian Wainwright

I was up in the north East at the weekend for a steam dinner and we were hearing comments around the room that it is definitely not on. As James says, an e-mail to the e-mail address on the site is probably best so I just sent one - lets see what I get back.

Brian
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th February 2014, 02:18 PM
Oily Rag

Full Name: andrew clarkson

This years Morgans diary is listing Pickering rally as next to A169 Pickering YO18 9AB. There is a web address given www.pickeringsteam.com and a phone number for S.B Dates are given as 31.7 to 3.8 on website. I suppose the usual disclaimer applies i.e. check nearer the time
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th February 2014, 05:35 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Brian Wainwright

Interesting, that post code puts it 3.5 miles north of Pickering on Swainsea Lane, nowhere near the A169.
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th February 2014, 10:28 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Mike Rule
Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjwlancashire View Post
Interesting, that post code puts it 3.5 miles north of Pickering on Swainsea Lane, nowhere near the A169.
Surely not! I thought truth,honesty and transparency had been a key feature of Pickering in recent times