Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > Wanted Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Wanted Adverts Steam items and equipment Wanted.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th December 2013, 12:42 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Graeme Wigglesworth
Default Sentinel Crankcase Oil

Greetings all,

I am after a gallon or 2 of Sentinel Crankcase oil.. anyone got spare they would like to sell?

Or if I get a big barrel (as that is all it comes in) does anyone else want the other 15 - 20 litres?

It is only for my 3 inch model.. and I fear that the big barrel would keep me stocked till I die!

Thanks
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th December 2013, 04:51 PM
Engineer

Full Name: N Williams

Why not buy 25 litres store what you need bottle the other and eBay it ! There must be others thinking the same as you
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th December 2013, 07:41 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by w6cloggs View Post
Why not buy 25 litres store what you need bottle the other and eBay it ! There must be others thinking the same as you
Its an option.. hence if enough people are interested I will buy and split
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th December 2013, 03:37 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Martin J

I think others in the small scales have used automatic transmission fluid or hydraulic oil. ATF is available in Halfords, and as far as I know does not have the emulsifiers that engine oil has, hence does not soak up condensate.
Don't have any personal experience however.
HTH
Martin
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th December 2013, 02:20 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: keith reynolds
Default what type of sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaurouge View Post
Greetings all,

I am after a gallon or 2 of Sentinel Crankcase oil.. anyone got spare they would like to sell?

Or if I get a big barrel (as that is all it comes in) does anyone else want the other 15 - 20 litres?

It is only for my 3 inch model.. and I fear that the big barrel would keep me stocked till I die!

Thanks
what type of "Sentinel" is your 3 inch the "Sentinel" crank case oil is designed more for the s types so unless you have a 3 inch s type which i would love to see.
We run a standard oil in the crankcase of our super with no problem
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th December 2013, 02:29 PM
Apprentice

Mine is an Atkinson and it is what I have been recommended.. but if standard oil? (being what?) then I'm happy with that too....

A little knowledge really is leading me up some garden paths!
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th December 2013, 09:24 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Jim Stanley

Have sent you a PM Graeme.

Jim
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 18th December 2013, 09:54 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Stuart Hart

Graeme,

Let us know what you decide and how you get on - i'm interested as i will need to do the same for my new 9" waggon engine
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 18th December 2013, 10:35 AM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Graeme

The info you need to know is this:-

Sentinel Crankcase Oil is designed for use where there is a likelyhood that the oil in the crankcase comes into contact with steam and consequently water.

The crankcase oil is developed so that if left standing the oil and water easily seperate and the water can be drained off, leaving the oil fit for use again, and minimise the corrosion of the internal parts

The S type Sentinel engine is single acting and it is therefore basically the mechanical fit of the pistons, rings and bores that prevent steam going into the crankcase, in reality an S type needs this type of oil.

The earlier double acting Sentinel engines - i.e the Standard, Super and DG are double acting, and have glands on the piston rod that should prevent oil contamination. In reality it doesn't, but the problem is far less than with an S type.

Then in the UK we have the condensation problem, our toys are not in continuous use, and given the moist aura surrounding a steam engine, and large masses of metal condensation within the crankcase can cause a significant amount of water in the crankcase. We are obviously talking full size here.

I think in practice it is common over here for Sentinel Owners to use 'Crankcase Oil' in all types.

Now, in your model application, some details of the engine construction may be usefull, I have noticed that wagon 'models' tend to bear only a passing resemblance to the full size prototype and therefore it is difficult to comment.

However some of my thoughts.
  • Your engine is likely to be small, and the oil contained in the crankcase small, it may be simpler to use normal bearing oil and simply change it regularly. I guess it will only hold a pint or so in anycase?.
  • As nature does not scale, I am not sure how much water will enter your crankcase (nor am I sure of the mechanical arrangements in any case), is it really plausible that in a pint or so of crankcase oil that you can expect to successfully drain an eggcup full (or so) of water?,
  • Is the crankcase arranged so the internal surfaces will fire the water to a low point where there is a suitable drain?