Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 17th September 2012, 12:22 AM
Apprentice

Full Name: Gareth Roberts
Default "Tracks to the Trenches - 2014" - WW1 Centenary Event (Staffordshire)

Dear All,

I am a volunteer member of a narrow gauge railway museum charity called the Moseley Railway Trust (http://www.mrt.org.uk), who operate the Apedale Valley Light Railway in North Staffordshire, UK

As you be aware, 2014 will mark the 100th anniversary of the start of the First World War. This conflict was the catalyst for many changes, the result of which lead to the modern world we now live in.

One of the areas where it had a huge impact was transport, particularly military logistics in all theatres; there was a massive move away from the use of horses, with lorries & railways used on a previously unimaginable scale. Tactical narrow gauge railways, with their ability to rapidly adapt to the changes in the battlefield, were eventually used by all combatants somewhat amazingly all sides standardized upon 60cm gauge field railways.

These railways, which served most front lines of the conflict, became the catalyst for many post-war industrial railways - providing high quality "war surplus" equipment at bargain prices, which served a multitude of industries around the world long after the war ended.

You can also see some more details about these railways on my own personal website here: http://www.wdlr.org.uk

Our museum currently encompasses an extremely comprehensive collection of locomotives (around 60) and rolling stock including a significant quantity of materials built for use in France during WW1. In addition to our passenger railway, we also have a large (currently undeveloped) field area on which we are intending to start construction of a traditional field railway and various external cameo museum display areas.

Due to the event timing, our external WW1 museum area (hopefully to include a typical locomotive shed) is likely to be one of the first areas to be developed shortly.

We are now confirming plans for the major WW1 "Tracks to the Trenches" event centred around our site over the weekend of September 13/14 (extending to possibly a long weekend) 2014. We are now starting to book some key attractions - there should be a press release shortly & the event now has its own website - please see: http://www.ww1-event.org

We are also adding some WW1 related model displays & currently in discussions with several owners.

We will appreciate any feedback to all this!

I would be extremely interested to explore ways that we might be able to work together with other groups, or receive expressions of interest in attending from Groups/traders/etc please. We are interested to hear from owners of WW1 era vehicles too!

I look forward to hearing from you all soon.

Thanks in advance,

Gareth Roberts
Moseley Railway Trust Event Organiser
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 17th September 2012, 08:24 AM
Engineer

Full Name: David Bloor

Gareth, This sounds like a great project.

This Foden wagon is in preservation and attends many rallies and might be a worthy exhibit.

I wrote a short piece on Foden's contribution to WWI which I can send to you if you let me have your email.

#3  Post / In Thread 
Old 17th September 2012, 04:28 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Rob Langham

David, if possible can I have a copy of the article too please?
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 17th September 2012, 06:50 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardianRob View Post
David, if possible can I have a copy of the article too please?
Of course. PM your email address. Let me know if you want better copies of any of the photo's in the article
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 5th December 2012, 04:30 PM
Apprentice

Good evening. The MRT has recently issued the following press release.

Release follows:-

The Moseley Railway Trust will mark the centenary of the start of the First World War with a major event, entitled Tracks to the Trenches – 2014. The event will be on September 12, 13 and 14 2014. The Trust is confident that this will be one of the major narrow gauge and First World War centenary events of 2014.
The First World War was one of the key turning points in European history – and narrow gauge railways played a major part in the war. All combatants made considerable use of tactical 60cm gauge railways, supporting the colossal demands which the first truly modern war put upon logistics systems. This moment in history helped define and standardise the gauge of many post-war industrial railways (Ashover, Nocton, Leighton Buzzard, etc), through the use of readily available War Surplus materials.

The Trust is pleased to be able to confirm the booking of the first visiting steam locomotive to the Tracks to the Trenches - 2014 event; Baldwin 4-6-0T No 778 from the Leighton Buzzard Railway in Bedfordshire. No 778 has not made many visits to other lines since restoration was completed in 2007, so this event will provide some unique locomotive/rolling stock combinations and photographic opportunities.

These 10-12-D class locomotives (the classification designated by the manufacturer) were supplied en-masse to the British War Department from 1917 onwards in all theatres, eventually totalling nearly 500 by 1918. They were the most common steam locomotive operated by the War Department Light Railways during the Great War. Based on a very similar design previously supplied to the French Army in Morocco, they had a limited life expectancy on the Battlefield of a mere 6-8 months.
Gareth Roberts, one of the event organisers of the Tracks to the Trenches event commented - Today, only a very small number of these machines have survived and an even smaller number are operational. We are extremely grateful to the Greensand Railway Museum Trust and the Leighton Buzzard Railway for making available this locomotive, fully restored to original appearance, for this important WW1 Centenary commemoration.

A website has been set-up for the Tracks to the Trenches event – it’s at http://www.ww1-event.org. The Trust would be very pleased to hear from individuals or groups who wish to participate in the event – contact can be made via the website. The Trust is also seeking sponsorship for elements of the event – there are opportunities from main event sponsor to individual donations.
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th December 2012, 09:56 PM
Engineer

I watched a programme tonight on BBC2 titled "Great Continental Railway Journeys". There was a piece on the 60cm railways in WWI presented by Michael Portillo. There was quite a bit of archive footage. Might be worth investigating.
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th December 2012, 10:01 PM
Engineer

Full Name: david costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidje View Post
I watched a programme tonight on BBC2 titled "Great Continental Railway Journeys". There was a piece on the 60cm railways in WWI presented by Michael Portillo. There was quite a bit of archive footage. Might be worth investigating.
Echo Dave i missed the name of the preserved line.
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 7th December 2012, 09:11 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Anthony Coulls

P'tit train de la Haute Somme
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 15th April 2013, 08:47 PM
Apprentice

Dear All,

The planning for this mega bash is continuing - we have finally reached the stage where earthworks have been started in preparation for the event!

A key recent development is the release of the Vehicle/Exhibit entry forms - you can download it directly here:

....or through the main www.ww1-event.org website - "Being Involved" section.

Best regards,
Gareth

Tags
centenary, event, light railway, vehicle, ww1