Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 15th March 2022, 05:14 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Bill Starling
Default Doort in Stoom

Just seen confirmation on a Dordrecht website that, with the final lifting of corona restrictions in the Netherlands, this year's Doort in Stoom (The largest steam event in Europe!) will be going ahead on 20th to 21st May.
Is anyone planning to take any machinery over this year?
I know there has been good support from the UK in the past.
I hope to go - as a spectator - and would like to know who/what to look out for.
Bill.
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 15th March 2022, 06:29 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Richard Bristow

We were organised to take the Garrett in 2020 before it was cancelled. Sadly, I'm told the problems around recognising UK boiler tests and the paper work around the lorry transport were to great so we are not going now.
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 15th March 2022, 11:44 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adrian Menear

I would love to go, we were all booked for 2020 and covid put payed to that. We also lost the local Flybe at Exeter so it just makes it all more difficult to do for us. It would be great to go back some time as it’s a fantastic event.
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th March 2022, 10:36 AM
Engineer

Mr B: Oh dear, another freedom we've lost - freedom from bureaucracy and red tape when visiting our neighbours. Here in Norfolk I'm nearer to the Netherlands than to you in Hampshire - or 4040 in Cornwall of course.
Bill.
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th March 2022, 12:58 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Martin J

If it wasn't for Mr Vermuyden, most of Norfolk would still be under water. No wonder you feel an affinity for the Dutch.

Martin
Ex Bedfordshire next the fens lad
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th March 2022, 03:11 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Ulrich FJ

Works the other way around, too.
Before Covid (I will not mention the B-word) it was easy to visit any rally in the UK. I repeatedly did so for just a weekend (there and back in two days) I was planning to visit rallies again but this year with my miniature but frankly speaking I don‘t think its worth the hassle, and I am not even mentioning any boiler inspection.

Contacted German Customs on how to proceed and it looks like I have to state everything down to a single nut and bolt (literally) which I plan to take along and to bring back, ideally with proof of purchase inside EU. This list is going to be checked on depature and cross-checked as soon as I am coming back. in case I forget to mention anything - I have to pay Customs and VAT on that.

And that is just this side of the border. I tried to get some infomation on that topic from HMRC but failed - no reply so far and reading the website does not make you any wiser. And I absolutely am not willing to pay a forwarding agency to fill out the paperwork and charge me an arm and a leg for that.

To drive with my miniature down the Dorset playpen is a dream but it looks like it will stay a dream, just not worth the hassle.

And BTW as we now have to pay excessive money for Customs,VAT and fees on orders from the UK, I started to look around locally for needed material and parts instead of ordering from the UK.

So all in all I will miss UK Rallies, but so be it.

Cheers
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th March 2022, 06:29 PM
Engineer

Full Name: iain jubb
Default ..

How does this differ from driving your German car over here if it is road registered?

I have no idea by the way but cant see how it is any different?

We can still get on a ferry and drive in Europe i'm sure
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th March 2022, 07:02 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Ulrich FJ

Hi Iain,

yes, you would be correct, if the miniature would be road legal, i.e. if I could get it registered here, which is completely out of question - Just a hint: a miniature like mine - built/finished in 2020 - would have to fulfill ALL requirements which a car/farm tactor etc. of same year would have to fulfill - emissions, safety, brakes, lights - the list is almost endless.

So, as it is not and cannot be registered - for Customs it is therefore considered much like, say, an expensive camera equipment, or expensive sports gear - you name it. Imagine you would like to bring your racing car or motorbike to race on Nurburgring. This would be the equivalent. You are not allowed to drive the racing car on the road so you cannot just use the Tunnel or ferry to get over here.

Before you ask: I cannot legally register a miniature (or a normal car) in the UK either as I do not (permanently) live in the UK, could not do before Brexit and surely cannot do now.

So as far as that goes, you are lucky to be able to register a miniature for road use. Out of question here in Germany.

Cheers

Elwood
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th March 2022, 08:31 PM
Engineer

Should we be relieved that bureaucratic blood-mindedness seems to be a reciprocal arrangement? I.e. it's not just our lot.
Elwood: how about some pictures of your 4ins DCC Road Loco? The one with your profile is a bit small. Always nice to see the results of someone's labour.
Bill.
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 17th March 2022, 07:47 AM
Engineer

Full Name: iain jubb

That's a shame. I didn't realise it wasn't possible.

But surely going the other way there should be no difference? Providing you insurance company provides your insurance (including all the boiler insurance) within Europe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood View Post
Hi Iain,

yes, you would be correct, if the miniature would be road legal, i.e. if I could get it registered here, which is completely out of question - Just a hint: a miniature like mine - built/finished in 2020 - would have to fulfill ALL requirements which a car/farm tactor etc. of same year would have to fulfill - emissions, safety, brakes, lights - the list is almost endless.

So, as it is not and cannot be registered - for Customs it is therefore considered much like, say, an expensive camera equipment, or expensive sports gear - you name it. Imagine you would like to bring your racing car or motorbike to race on Nurburgring. This would be the equivalent. You are not allowed to drive the racing car on the road so you cannot just use the Tunnel or ferry to get over here.

Before you ask: I cannot legally register a miniature (or a normal car) in the UK either as I do not (permanently) live in the UK, could not do before Brexit and surely cannot do now.

So as far as that goes, you are lucky to be able to register a miniature for road use. Out of question here in Germany.

Cheers

Elwood