Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 23rd August 2022, 02:45 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Andy Petra
Default GDSF live stream

Looks like GDSF have a Youtube live stream this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOZEENHDax0

Not sure how useful it is but hey if you cant go it might give a bit of a flavour for you, the camera moves about from time to time it seems and on Friday they say the quality will be upped.
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th August 2022, 02:35 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Peter Harris

Not working now
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th August 2022, 09:17 PM
Engineer

Yeah live stream died on Friday I think, which was a shame Although I did manage to pop down on Friday in person and enjoyed 10hrs on site, mind you glad I didnt have to pay the £30 on the day gate price
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st August 2022, 07:25 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Roger Mills

£30, really? I've just looked back through some old leaflets and in 1996 it was £7.50. Adjusted for inflation using the Bank of England Calculator that should be £12.50 today alternatively according to EH Net £15 (prices) or £16.40 (earnings).
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st August 2022, 08:07 AM
Apprentice

Full Name: Richard Bristow

That does seem a bit steep, when you can get into most fair grounds and markets for free.

Last edited by Mr.B.; 31st August 2022 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: Fat thumbs
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st August 2022, 06:40 PM
Engineer

Yup that was day gate price I gathered, booking before the show opened meant you could get in for £25, I scored a £11.25 day ticket through a promo a company was running something like two or three months before.
To be honest GDFS is way more than "most" fair grounds or market, If you ignored the fairground, market and even the steam aspect there is still definitely more than enough still to give most value for money.
I know one person who goes purely for the music entertainment that happens over the myriad of bars and stages around the site, they have no interest in steam at all , they say its an absolute bargain.
You also have to take into account this when trying to calculate any price change, I bet GDSF was a completely different beast in 1996 compared to 2022 ?
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st August 2022, 07:45 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Roger Mills

A different beast? I don't think so - it hasn't really changed in years except for the addition of live music, stunt shows and the like. If £30 is what they have to charge it's what they have to charge that is their prerogative. I choose to leave it others choose to take it. That's life. I was just amazed how far it has outstripped inflation.
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st August 2022, 09:48 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Kitchener View Post
A different beast? I don't think so - it hasn't really changed in years except for the addition of live music, stunt shows and the like. If £30 is what they have to charge it's what they have to charge that is their prerogative. I choose to leave it others choose to take it. That's life. I was just amazed how far it has outstripped inflation.
So it has changed and thus attracts a higher entrance price, so it cant be really said to have outstripped inflation if we're not comparing like with like anymore.
Yes the steam element and the likes have stayed the same and so they should, but it is a different beast compared to years ago when it was "just" a steam and fairground affair.
As you say its their prerogative to charge what they feel is right for the attractions they have and its our prerogative to either attend or not, or locate keenly priced tickets like myself.
I certainly couldn't justify a £30 entrance fee for what I wanted to do on the day, but for £11.25 I was happy with that
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st August 2022, 10:28 PM
Engineer

Full Name: andrew sleigh

i would pay £30 for a day, a good price for what you get, and enjoy it while its there, you never know what may happen, as we have seen....