Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > Wanted Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Wanted Adverts Steam items and equipment Wanted.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 2nd September 2019, 07:44 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Michael James
Default 3" scale Fowler traction engine

I would like to purchase a 3" scale Fowler agricultural traction engine, built to the MJ Engineering design.

I want an engine that is either a runner, complete with a boiler certificate or an engine that is very near to being a runner - perhaps a newly built engine that requires a few small jobs to finish it off. I would also consider a model that has been steamed regularly and now needs some minor jobs completing, to bring it back up to standard. I do not want to tackle any major jobs on an engine though - and end up with another project.

Regarding the boiler, I would prefer one made from copper but I will consider an engine with a welded steel boiler. A copper boiler does not necessarily have to be the work of a professional boiler maker but if it is not, then obviously it must have been built to a good standard - this includes following the drawing! As far as boiler paperwork is concerned, the more the better. But, if there is no paperwork with the boiler - and the boiler is well made - this is not necessarily a problem. I will consider buying a model like this but I would expect the asking price to reflect the matter that there is no paperwork with the boiler. It would take a fair amount of work to put a ticket on an engine of this nature but it is most definitely not an impossible task.

I would prefer an engine on strakes, and not solid rubbers. I realise a lot are on rubbers though - life is always a compromise! I would ask sellers to make contact anyway even if my preferences are not exactly what they have available.

I really like the Fowler A7 and this is what I would prefer. But I will consider a 3" Marshall agricultural traction engine or an Allchin in 3" scale as alternatives, if anyone has one of these for sale. A single cylinder Fowler ploughing engine would also be rather nice to have, as another alternative.

Please contact me by any of the following methods:

Here on Traction Talk by adding a post to this thread or by sending a PM. It is also possible to send an email to my email address through T-T.

Mobile phone: my number is 0759 815 8170. Please note that I do not always keep my mobile near me - I find they can be a bit of a distraction! Therefore, if it is not answered, please leave a message and I will make contact. I check for messages, missed calls etc. several times through the day. I can also be contacted by text message.

Finally, to be totally transparent, this is a private wanted advert to find an engine for myself. I am not a dealer and I am not working on behalf of anyone else.

Fingers crossed that the right engine comes my way soon!

Michael
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 4th September 2019, 08:11 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: v.francis
Default fowler

Hi Michael There was one on homeworkshop alittle back... in bits but nicely made... think about £5,200.
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 25th September 2019, 08:00 AM
Apprentice

Default Hi Michael re 3 inch Fowler

Hi Did you see the Fowler showmans at Dreweates auction? super quality, Could be expensive though... Not sure if it sold I was in a meeting unfortunately; only saw it eve before...could be. bought by a dealer so keep😳peeled for it.
regards
vic
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th September 2019, 06:07 PM
Engineer

Hi Vic,

I have been busy sorting out a frame for one of my drawings, ready for the 19th October... No names, no pack drill but really looking forward to it... ...!!!

Homeworkshop is back up and running again but I cannot register with it... no luck with emails either. I intended to put a wanted ad on it.

I don't fancy a showman's engine - too much brass to polish! And probably more than my budget.

Please keep your eyes open for me - hopefully something will come up soon.

Michael
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th September 2019, 07:03 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Peter Parrish

MJ Engineering have a 3" Fowler almost complete for sale, saw it at Wilton Model Show its not bad!
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th September 2019, 10:29 AM
Apprentice

Default mj eng fowler

Hi Pete, apparently it needs a new boiler! as the one it is poor quality workmanship! Did you find your Fowler parts ex simon? in the end?
I would love a 1.5 or 2 inch version but hard to find...I guess your not selling any of your exquisite traction works of art?kind regards vic
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th September 2019, 12:08 PM
Engineer

I went to see the 3 inch Fowler that MJ Engineering have for sale. The quality of the engineering is good, the crank turns over very nicely with no tight spots. I can't remember the exact reason but there was an alignment problem with the final drive gear guard, which as a result was in contact with the rear wheel.

In the interests of diplomacy, the less said about the boiler the better.

Michael
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th September 2019, 02:26 PM
Engineer

Vic, no, I do not sell my artwork or take on commissions these days - perhaps that is why I enjoy drawing my pictures. If I were to sell an original, or take on a commission, it would be very expensive, several thousand pounds.

There are three people who own an example of my artwork (originals - not prints) that I have created since I was diagnosed with Parkinson's. I am one of them, another is the person who persuaded me to have a go at creating artwork again, a few years after I was diagnosed. And the third is a young lady who.... I think about often... ! So, it is a fairly exclusive club!

I acknowledge lots of people in the world of road steam would like to own one of my originals and who knows, perhaps one day I will take on a commission or two. The greatest irony is that the artwork I am creating now is better than the art I created before I became ill.

Michael
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st October 2019, 09:02 AM
Apprentice

Hi Michael Roger on here has a nice 3 inch fowler for sale have you seen it? Regards vic
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 12th November 2019, 11:41 AM
Apprentice

Full Name: Brian Steele

There is one in the for sale column