Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#21  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd December 2020, 05:00 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Malcolm Young

I agree with everything you say and my previous post was a tongue-in-cheek attempt at lightening the mood. Fortunately I have no underlying health issues (that I know of!) and feel in generally good health and am not going to hide away until a vaccine is here, hopefully not too long now. I am taking the normal precautions and not going out unless necessary. But having said that I have just been out for a much needed haircut and tomorrow my wife and I are going for lunch at our local Wetherspoons!

Malc.
  #22  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd December 2020, 06:26 PM
Engineer

Full Name: neil smith

“If your 60+ you need to be careful. Keep away from the young lads you Cougars.”

Hedd, how many Cougars do you think read this stuff?
  #23  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd December 2020, 06:46 PM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrite 1921 View Post
“If your 60+ you need to be careful. Keep away from the young lads you Cougars.”

Hedd, how many Cougars do you think read this stuff?
Well, the wife does
  #24  Post / In Thread 
Old 4th December 2020, 12:43 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Adrian Menear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8_10 Brass Cleaner View Post
Frankly Malc, the elephant in the room is that a good many of those who have sadly died in those older age groups would have died in the next 12 months anyway. From other age related factors.

The damage to the economy has been catastrophic in many sectors.

Other countries, dare I say autocratic regimes, China, Russia etc, even to an extent Trumps America have made the decision that the economic damage Isn't worth it. I'm not saying their model is correct, but I'm not so sure our UK model is the best thought out either. And before anyone blames the Tories, Ive seen what Jimmie Crankie is doing in scotland and that idiot in Wales are doing (because I have to plan construction works throughout the UK), and trust me they are not.

But frankly life needs to move on, there is a good proportion of the population that statistically are very unlikely indeed to get ill enough to need any intervention. This is well known, and has been since the summer.

The under 30's, (perhaps the under 40's) need to be allowed to get on with their lives safe in the knowledge that even if they all caught it that they are not going to overwhelm the hospitals. and hardly any of them are going to die. But they also need to be armed with the knowledge that they need to keep away from the elderly. The young lads need to keep away from all the cougars etc. etc. This alone will revitalize the hospitality sector.

Similarly those who have received a positive test, and can be proven that they have at some point in the last 12 months also need to be allowed to get on with life. If they are not totally immune, then they are very well protected. And on the basis they cant catch it again, they cant catch it and carry it and transmit it to the old folks. They should have a free pass, they are safe themselves, and present a statistically insignificant transmission risk.

Testing for antibodies needs to kick in, I've friends in the NHS where this has been widespread for months. Get the general population tested FFS please Boris. Got antibodys?. Your good to go as above.

If your 60+ you need to be careful. Keep away from the young lads you Cougars. Those of you who prop the bar up, keep away from the nightclubs where the under 30's are. No Ibiza and Magaluf please. Get the jab and all is good.

If your 75+ keep away from everybody until youve had your jab. If you dont want your jab, good luck to you.

Theres a big group not covered 30 - 60, well. my view is you pays your money and takes the chance. Keep yourself to yourself until you get the jab, or throw the dice. The statistics are what they are. The odds are still good.

If you live in a multi generational house, sorry, you either evict granny or tell your 20something son its time to sling his hook, or find himself a bird to shack up with.

All the above are generalisms, statistically there will be always be exceptions. But the exceptions are not going to overwhelm the NHS.

There is another huge ‘elephant in the room’ Hedd.....something we cannot mention these days sadly but the real ‘hot spots’ tell you all you need to know
  #25  Post / In Thread 
Old 4th December 2020, 08:56 AM
Apprentice

Full Name: Dan Wood

I know a number of smaller rallys hoping and planning to go ahead in June and onwards and I say good luck to them.

The lockdown and tiers are ridiculous - the hospitals knew how to treat covid in May, they would have been better off to spend the money protecting elderly venerable and let everyone else enjoy their lives and get the virus over the summer when it would spread slower - anyone under 50 will get it sooner or later anyhow. You don't get a free flu-jab what makes anyone think they'll ever get a free covid-jab unless they're high risk?

Over 20k employees of Debenhams and Arcardia alone, plus pubs and restaurants not reopening, gyms closed for good and so on - the multiplier effects of this will be a monumental recession lasting for years. No matter how much they balls up brexit, it'll be nothing compared to the covid cockup.

Add on all the furlough and business rate relief payments and my children will be paying for all this spending their entire lives.

Is it right to burden the younger healthier masses (both financially and that we won't get an extra year of life to make up for missing 2020 rally season) just so a few elderly with underlying health conditions might get a few more months? And I say few as put it in perspective, even the daft died at somepoint within 28days of covid test figures are nothing compared to 450 deaths each and every day from cancer - meanwhile cancer and other treatments are being reduced to fight covid.
  #26  Post / In Thread 
Old 4th December 2020, 09:11 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Adam Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyder View Post
Is it right to burden the younger healthier masses (both financially and that we won't get an extra year of life to make up for missing 2020 rally season) just so a few elderly with underlying health conditions might get a few more months?
I understand your sentiment but I can't think of a price I wouldn't pay for just a single day in my late grandfathers company. We've all lost people, we can't bring anyone back - but we can try and hold on to those we have left.
  #27  Post / In Thread 
Old 5th December 2020, 08:13 AM
Apprentice

Full Name: John Garton

Bloxham (Banbury) Rally now cancelled.
  #28  Post / In Thread 
Old 5th December 2020, 10:50 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Simon Thomas

Could we stop the litany of 'and now xxx is cancelled, it's my favourite show and I'm heartbroken...'

It's not adding anything positive to the forum and for those of us who either have serious health conditions or are looking after those who do it is merely pouring salt on the wounds.

As has been said several times, presume THEY ARE ALL CANCELLED. Have a quiet winge to your self. Then get on with life and let us know what you have been up to, what you can do and what positives you hope the future holds.
  #29  Post / In Thread 
Old 5th December 2020, 11:08 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Bob Allison

It is a shame that Boris has not the guts to cancel Christmas , that'll kill a more than a few Grandads , but he daren't be the bad fairy and lose even more votes .

BAH , HUMBUG !
  #30  Post / In Thread 
Old 5th December 2020, 06:57 PM
Engineer

Full Name: john quirk

It’s astonishing that the Communist Party of China has done more damage to the British way of life in a manner that Al Qaeda could ever have dreamed of. Which is a bit odd given what they’re doing to their own citizens close to the Kazakh/ Mongolian border.