Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > Wanted Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Wanted Adverts Steam items and equipment Wanted.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd December 2020, 10:54 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Tom Allen
Default Aveling canopy irons and safety valve cover

As part of the restoration of our Aveling roller we have decided to fit a 3/4 canopy so we are on the lookout for some canopy irons and also the cover that goes over the safeties. She is a 12 ton H-Type so I think 10 ton ones should be suitable, or we can at least modify them to suit.

Collection is not an issue as I am all over the place with work or can arrange our courier company to collect.

Cheers, Tom
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd December 2020, 05:51 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Wout Deelen
Default H type

Hi Tom ,
We like to see some pictures from this big compound PV
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 4th December 2020, 09:05 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Sandy Ross
Default Aveling safety valve bonnet

Tom,

You can only fit an Aveling pattern safety valve bonnet if the cylinder top cover (which includes the safety valves) is flanged to fit the bonnet. For engines built without a canopy normally there was no flange. The bonnet size certainly differs between 8 and 10 ton rollers, but not sure about the 12 ton roller.

Sandy
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 4th December 2020, 10:26 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Bob Allison

Looking at the picture in the current thread " Oops ! " reminds me that back in the day many engines had home made safety valve bonnets . Some were quite neat and workmanlike , some less so , but they all served a purpose . My own engine has no roof at all , but steam from the safeties is sometimes a real nuisance , and is sometimes frankly dangerous because one cannot see ahead . Yes , I know that some perfect persons would manage their boilers so expertly that such a thing would NEVER happen to them , but the rest of us do get caught out .
So , why not make your own , a legit chance to show a bit of craft and imagination , owt's better than nowt .
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 4th December 2020, 03:21 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Chris Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidner View Post
Looking at the picture in the current thread " Oops ! " reminds me that back in the day many engines had home made safety valve bonnets . Some were quite neat and workmanlike , some less so , but they all served a purpose . My own engine has no roof at all , but steam from the safeties is sometimes a real nuisance , and is sometimes frankly dangerous because one cannot see ahead . Yes , I know that some perfect persons would manage their boilers so expertly that such a thing would NEVER happen to them , but the rest of us do get caught out .
So , why not make your own , a legit chance to show a bit of craft and imagination , owt's better than nowt .
As you said Bob I'm sure the perfect people on here that know best would never let the safety valves blow, but back in the real world from time to time it does happen.

I remember when I owned my D2 roller it was a nightmare if the safety did lift, to see forward as the Steam on those Fowler's seems to go downwards and completely excuse your view you!
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 4th December 2020, 05:06 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Bob Allison

Oh Chris , and to think that I thought that it was only me !
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 4th December 2020, 06:55 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Paul Kemp

I am sure there is only one person on here that is perfect.

Paul.
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 7th December 2020, 11:51 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Tom Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by No.41 View Post
Tom,

You can only fit an Aveling pattern safety valve bonnet if the cylinder top cover (which includes the safety valves) is flanged to fit the bonnet. For engines built without a canopy normally there was no flange. The bonnet size certainly differs between 8 and 10 ton rollers, but not sure about the 12 ton roller.

Sandy
Thanks Sandy, I didnt realise there was a special flange for them but will check on the engine. I may be wrong but i think the safeties on the 10 are same as on my 12 tonner. Although she never had a canopy fitted I would like to at least make it as close to the Aveling design as possible.

Being a glasses wearer the effects of lifting safety valves at junctions and traffic lights are well known!