Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#31  Post / In Thread 
Old 5th December 2020, 08:04 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Mike Dyson

Why is everyone so pre-occupied with the future. Enjoy the here and now - as best you can!
  #32  Post / In Thread 
Old 5th December 2020, 11:28 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Edward Potts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplex View Post
Why is everyone so pre-occupied with the future.
Because the future contains working engines, workshops I’m allowed to go to and considerably less stress. It’s easy to be content if you’ve already done everything you want to. I haven’t, and I want to get going again.
  #33  Post / In Thread 
Old 5th December 2020, 11:53 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Bob Allison

I think that Simplex' meaning was that we should learn to be happy in the present .
  #34  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th December 2020, 07:11 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Adam Tyler

What will be, will be. Stop making negative assumptions without legit evidence to back it up. There are people out there (including myself) who are dying to have their 'Rally fix' next year - even if only a small number of rallies go ahead
  #35  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th December 2020, 09:53 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Martin Hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplex View Post
Why is everyone so pre-occupied with the future. Enjoy the here and now - as best you can!
Totally agree Mike
Don’t know if anyone ever reads my sign off signature at bottom of each post
“ Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday “
It was some advice given to me at a time in my life when I was facing a very uncertain future with my health ,indeed no one was sure if I would pull through ,but I did and I’m still here
Don’t worry about tomorrow because it’s yet to come and yesterday has gone ,just get on with living the day you have been given
Yes I am missing my rallies and good times with the steam fraternity ,however I’m fit healthy and tinkering with stuff in the workshop ,if it takes a couple of years to get back to “ normal” so be it our engines have been about a long time ,over 100 years in many cases and will still be there when all this is over .
Take care and stay well
Cheers Martin
  #36  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th December 2020, 01:40 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Bob Tutt

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present. Enjoy your presents while you can.
  #37  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th December 2020, 02:12 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Thomas Bowden

Most of the rallies down here in sunny Devon and Cornwall normally take place by the end of August and I do not think that mass vaccinations will be completed before then knowing how ineffective our government is.

I begin to wonder if perhaps we should consider abandoning the rally season for 2021 and start the one in 2022 in earnest. If I was still a rally organiser I would personally find it soul destroying to be part way through organising a rally and then having to cancel it due to unforseen circumstances.
  #38  Post / In Thread 
Old 7th December 2020, 07:45 AM
Apprentice

Full Name: John Garton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonT View Post
Could we stop the litany of 'and now xxx is cancelled, it's my favourite show and I'm heartbroken...'

It's not adding anything positive to the forum and for those of us who either have serious health conditions or are looking after those who do it is merely pouring salt on the wounds.

As has been said several times, presume THEY ARE ALL CANCELLED. Have a quiet winge to your self. Then get on with life and let us know what you have been up to, what you can do and what positives you hope the future holds.
Just posting useful information, not trying to induce anyone to commit suicide.
  #39  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th December 2020, 05:38 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Steve Dean

Seeing the comment from 'Simplex' made me think back to the 'good old days' when I was part of the Tuesday Night gang at Knowl Hill (Berks) and we would be in the shed discussing the merits of one make of engine against another. John Keeley would come in the shed and bark in that delightful gruff way of his, "you're all taking sh** ...... all engines are bloomin' luvly".

Similarly, when it was chucking it down with rain and properly miserable and we were all moaning our heads off about the weather, John would sharply tell us it was a lovely day and inform us, "any day you are still here is a lovely day".

John Keeley ..... we miss him so much !
  #40  Post / In Thread 
Old 12th December 2020, 08:02 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Andy Petra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Kitchener View Post

I do occasionally wonder of the only large scale event that might take place here next year is a general election.
To be honest thats just another waste of time money and effort, as if any of the other parties will be any better.

As the old saying goes “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”