Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > Wanted Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Wanted Adverts Steam items and equipment Wanted.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th June 2009, 09:54 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Guy Champion
Default Steam Whistle or Siren for 4 1/2"

Pretty much as it says. Looking for a decent whistle or siren for my 4 1/2" Burrell. Could buy new but wondered if anybody had anything lying about they wanted to exchange for pound notes?

Not quite sure on thread but it is the same size as 1/8 BSP size (will fit but not on the thread looks a bit finer) but not sure what that is in model engineering thread. Maybe someone may know?

Regards

Guy
guyoxon@hotmail.com
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th June 2009, 07:07 AM
Engineer

Full Name: :

1/8" BSP has an outside diameter of 0.383" by 28tpi.

The closest ME series thread would be 3/8" diameter (0.375"). If it's only a bit finer thread, then it'll probably be 3/8" x 32tpi, if it's quite a bit finer then it could be 3/8" x 40tpi. Both are part of the ME series

Of course with it being on a miniature, it's perfectly possible that someone decided to use something like a metric thread: M9x1.25 would equate to 0.354"x31.75tpi, whilst M10x1.50 would be 0.393"x38.1tpi. I ended up acquiring a 5" gauge "Sweet Pea", where above a certain size the builder seemed to use what ever taps he had to hand - there are BSP threads in there, and best of all, the safety valves are UNC of all things - no buying those off the shelf! Lol

The best way of finding out what thread it is would be to measure the diameter and count up the tpi: Count the number of threads (peak+groove) then divide by the length over which they occupy - of course not all that easy on a female thread, especially a small one! For the sake of £5 the easiest way would be to get a set of thread gauges, armed with those, a micrometer/vernier and a Zeus Chart, one never need scratch one's head over threads again!

Last edited by Mine Explorer; 30th June 2009 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: Ian can't spell!