Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#51  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th August 2014, 10:41 AM
Engineer

Full Name: :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvrt0_0 View Post
...having done this activity at Onslow and being a CI with the Air Training Corp I've done my fair share of car parking / stewarding at events (most unpaid by the way) and it really is not an easy job. It is frustrating, hair pulling and sometimes downright dangerous stuff that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy....
Whilst I don't for one minute assume those on the ground get paid, I would think that the cadet organisation would receive financial recompense for providing their services.

Quote:
Above it all they are just doing what the organiser has told them to do and I've seen some strange sights. Like the year the organisers placed a large blue biffa bin in the path of the engines coming from the arena to make them divert round a particularly soft patch and left a group of cadets to 'guard' it. That went down really well with engine men and public a like. How to look like an pillock in one easy lesson.
Understandable, and a good reason why I wouldn't want such a task. Most exhibitors (steam or anything else) can be quite reasonable if it's explained to them what the issue is (ie. very soft spot). The problem is that requires those 'on guard' to approach the engines and explain that it's soft ahead - not necessarily something everyone is confident doing, and when on an engine trying to negotiate already soft ground stopping for a conversation is the last thing they'll want to do as they might then be stuck and unable to start again - seeing an easily moveable bin in the way with some apparently unhelpful cadets standing by it talking amongst themselves rather than moving it can be seen as annoying when the full situation is unknown.

I'm not convinced the cadets age group are the most confident at approaching complete strangers and asking them to move, and it certainly isn't all who bark orders around - it's just unfortunate that the few who do stand out for the wrong reasons tend to tarnish the majority who don't. That's the same whether the marshalls are cadets or adult volunteers.

Personally I think it much more effective if marshalls alert visitors to the presence of approaching vehicles they might not be aware of, rather than demand they either move out of the way, or issue orders 'not to cross'. People cross the road every day and don't need high-viz stewards standing at the curb telling them want to do. On a rally field the road way isn't defined, so marshalls marking the route and asking visitors to be careful whilst crossing is fair enough - but stewards demanding people don't try to get from one side of a slowly crawling and frequently stopping line of vehicles to another is just insulting to the visitors - it's no wonder people can get irritated and annoyed with the marshalls.

The marshalls don't necessarily have an easy time either, especially around the steam section when some teenager has been told to 'stand there and keep people back', but they might not have actually been told to stand in a very useful place, and don't necessarily know what the steamers are trying to do. The marshalls don't necessarily know where each steamer is heading to get back to their peg, or how the owner is going to try and achieve that in the space available - eg. it might be easier to reverse an engine some of the way to avoid very tight corners, and shunting around the portables that have been towed behind engines isn't quick and simple either.

For all the complaints, the organisers and marshalls manage to cram an awful lot of exhibits in the space available and DO manage to get one chuff of a lot of engines both into and out of the arena for the main parade in a fairly organised fashion - how total gridlock is avoided with amost every square inch of grass in the arena covered by engines is a minor miracle each year!
  #52  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th August 2014, 11:12 AM
Apprentice

Full Name: Nick Berry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mine Explorer View Post
Whilst I don't for one minute assume those on the ground get paid, I would think that the cadet organisation would receive financial recompense for providing their services.
I couldn't comment on the current Onslow situation but often events of all types see cadets as little more than 'free bodies' . Again, in my opinion a 13 year old is not the right person to use as a steward, especially if they are tasked with telling people to move out of the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mine Explorer View Post
For all the complaints, the organisers and marshalls manage to cram an awful lot of exhibits in the space available and DO manage to get one chuff of a lot of engines both into and out of the arena for the main parade in a fairly organised fashion - how total gridlock is avoided with amost every square inch of grass in the arena covered by engines is a minor miracle each year!
I agree wholeheartedly. And it is fantastic to be both on the outside looking in and the inside looking out. But I think there is always room for feedback.
  #53  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th August 2014, 01:02 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Matt S

Its always been my way of thinking that if you want to be seen, wear a high viz. This doesn't mean you become the boss of all before you, it just means you can be seen and are taking your own safety to hand as you see fit.

As for loads of event officials in jackets, to my mind its the wrong way round. Surely it would be better for the general conciousness not to see them all over the place? That way if a load suddenly appear, you'll know something is up and you need to stop what your doing/going etc.

Have eyes and ears around for sure, but a name badge (or number) should suffice if instructions are to be given. Personally if folk are accountable for what they do/say I always find them more polite.

As for kids in jackets. Get them involved, teach then some skills and yes make them aware of whats what, but do't ever get them to tell me how to drive or behave.

All my own opinion of course and my thoughts are not connected to Onslow.
  #54  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th August 2014, 06:38 PM
Engineer

Full Name: David Worthington

Onslow,is the best rally in Shropshire for exhibits, I have seen some of the rarest tractors in preservation in the working field.
When I have exhibited I have enjoyed it thoroughly, sadly for personal reasons I did not exhibit this year and to be honest, I missed going, but Ian as for getting out in about a hour, you must be gifted and the the traffic parted in front of you.
One engine owner said it was the worst he had ever seen, it took him an hour and a half to get to the lowloader park, never mind loading and exiting from there. I know several trade stand owners, who are debating whether to go next year, though the takings are good, the time taken to exit site is putting them off, they need to replenish stock and get to the next booking.
  #55  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th August 2014, 06:51 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: John Garton

." I know several trade stand owners, who are debating whether to go next year, though the takings are good, the time taken to exit site is putting them off, they need to replenish stock and get to the next booking."

Speaking from personal experience, I simply cannot think that any trader would refuse to return here because of the delay exiting the site, good shows (from a trading viewpoint) are hard to find!
  #56  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th August 2014, 06:59 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plateman View Post
." I know several trade stand owners, who are debating whether to go next year, though the takings are good, the time taken to exit site is putting them off, they need to replenish stock and get to the next booking."

Speaking from personal experience, I simply cannot think that any trader would refuse to return here because of the delay exiting the site, good shows (from a trading viewpoint) are hard to find!
May be, they could be somewhere else that is less hassle.
  #57  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th August 2014, 07:28 PM
Engineer

Don't forget this is on in Shrewsbury the same weekend
http://shrewsburyfolkfestival.co.uk/
  #58  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th August 2014, 08:20 PM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Its interesting reading all this bollocks about Onslow.

If reports of getting on site at Dorset are to be believed the Onslow troubles are small fry and show what a well organised show it really is.
  #59  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th August 2014, 08:29 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Andrew Goddard

I agree with Hedd, the real reason is that the rally site is located on the main trunk road to Mid Wales and most of the population of the West Midlands are having one last trip to the sea side before winter. Little anyone can do regarding the amount of traffic on that road, with the possible exception of holding the rally on an available weekend in the middle of December!
  #60  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th August 2014, 09:07 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Dave Riley

Winter rally, that could break Christmas up a bit! I like the idea! Bank holiday too on Christmas day.