Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#11  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th August 2018, 06:57 AM
Engineer

Full Name: David Kearley

Looking at aerial photos, i would guesstimate they underestimated turnout by about 50% on previous years.

There is little excuse for toilet facilities, they are managed by the supplying contractor usually so it would seem odd they did not clean enough and Would certainly not use them again next year. The qty from what i have read does seem to be lower than usual but i cant believe they booked fewer loos for a bigger show or even the same amount??

From reading i think traffic management was a fail and also entry/ticketing failed.

We were going down but a group of family friends who live a few hours closer did try, sat in traffic 1m away for hours, then queued for 2 hours to get to the booths and in. I am glad we didn't go in the end.

I think they dropped the ball on this show and numbers will likely be way down next year due to to the bad taste left.
  #12  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th August 2018, 10:37 AM
Apprentice

Full Name: Adrian White

Not sure too many people was the real problem. Been to many big air shows and Rock concerts in the past with more people attending. The Road management was indeed poor (where were Dorset police and warning delay signage - Duxford is a good example!), and the entry/egress process from Car parks was beyond belief at times. Not enough people directing/hurrying traffic in to site, no proper signage (e.g. Car park 1, area B1,).. plus exit signs etc. No night time floodlighting, which was also needed for the public to avoid trip hazards and help find their car in the dark, on a big sloping uneven field. And the Public were NOT happy with the toilet arrangements.
Perhaps on the day card payments at say £22.50 and correct cash at £20 would have increased the speed of entry up along with more turnstile staff (one person on cash sales is poor). Yes there is a cost to all this, but IF there is to be another GDSF we have to remember the public is king and a bad visitor experience sadly spreads like wildfire on Fakebook/ instagranny etc.

The Show was indeed really excellent with some lovely touches, which the organisers should be praised but has fallen short in some area which is a big shame.

As i say each year why not enable programmes to be order in advance and sent straight to ones home beforehand so one can plan the visit and not miss any gems, with maybe the option to have a follow up list sent afterwards (or put it on the web) with the actual attendees. I'm sure many would indeed pay a few bob more. There was talk of a friends of GDSF, this could be one benefit!

Anyway I hope most people did indeed enjoyed themselves despite the problems and thanks to the staff who worked long days and had to field the public complaints (never an easy task). Lets hope formany more future GDSF's, with lessons learnt.
  #13  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th August 2018, 11:08 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Scottish Jo

thanks for the pictures it did look like a great show.
  #14  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th August 2018, 02:08 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Roger Mills

Too many shows just don't do the maths. If it takes 30 secs to process a credit card transaction from the moment the next punter moves forward to the moment they step away the maximum throughput of that counter will be 120 an hour. It will take that counter then 8 hours to process 1000 punters. If the average time to use a ladies toilet cubicle is say 2 mins the maximum throughput of that unit will be 30 per hour. The theatre business has been struggling with this issue for years. I have just come back from a show with cash sales only at £10 per adult - result no queues! Some though never learn I recall the event some years ago daft enough to charge £16. By lunchtime they were begging over the PA for change....
  #15  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th August 2018, 08:45 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adam Tyler

One thing I've discussed with my best friend (he also loves Traction Engines) is that GDSF should create an App for their visitors - site navigation, Arena Events, Engine Identification (Some don't have a registration plate and/or the builder plate is faded/missing), traffic updates, etc.
  #16  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th August 2018, 12:43 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Thomas Bowden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Boy Hertford View Post
One thing I've discussed with my best friend (he also loves Traction Engines) is that GDSF should create an App for their visitors - site navigation, Arena Events, Engine Identification (Some don't have a registration plate and/or the builder plate is faded/missing), traffic updates, etc.
There is a easy way of identifying a engine with a missing or faded plate and that is to look around the engine for the NTET Boiler Test disc assuming that it is in steam or capable of being steamed!
  #17  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th August 2018, 05:47 PM
Engineer

Full Name: peter barker

Spotted Sentinel steam lorry WJ 8985 powering its way up the A34 near East Ilsley this morning and myself and some members of a truck forum I am on were wondering where had travelled to the show from. There is a chap from the Doncaster area who has a similar one, perhaps that actual one? Also, can they use motorways, I know they can maintain a decent speed? Thanks in advance..

Pete.
  #18  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th August 2018, 06:05 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Martin Longdon

Yes it lives near Doncaster.
  #19  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th August 2018, 06:32 PM
Engineer

Full Name: peter barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseumDriver View Post