Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#11  Post / In Thread 
Old 5th June 2013, 08:09 AM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traction-Tom View Post
Thanks Hedd, it has a Phoenix crank but not pressure fed like you said. It's originally a 1930's swb box saloon but was altered into an ulster replica in the 1950's. It was owned for along time by Colin Crabb who had a lot of work done on the engine and had the hydraulic brake conversion done. We used to have a box saloon just like yours and dad has been after another 7 ever since he sold it. We were very fortunate to be able purchase this one late last year. I have been to work once in it in October and it was very cold. Are there any Austin 7 events at longbridge this year?

I was going to load some of the pictures I took at wolverhampton but the others are that good I would just be duplicating them.
Mine is a '30 SWB box saloon (an RL if that means anything), so probably very similar mechanically bar the lowered suspension and hydraulics.

Father had the engine of his LWB box ('34 RP) this weekend as its been off the road of late with a 'knock'. The source is a loose flywheel and parts arrived today to effect repairs.

He's also got a '30 Chummy part restored, (with my spare engine). I've a '32 Box (a LWB RN) as next project once the living van is built. The wife cannot cope with the arse backwards 3sp crash box in mine, so it will get a 3syncro 4 speed Ruby gear box.

Not sure about Longbridge, I'm in the Midlands Austin 7 Club and go on the odd run which tend to be fun. I find The static events are a bit boring.
  #12  Post / In Thread 
Old 5th June 2013, 08:17 AM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK RIGG View Post
The photo and the posts about the Austin `7 ` Ulster brought back a few memories .

A 1930 `Ulster was my first proper car, bought for £ 25 - back in the late 1950`s - I had just passed my test and doing my engineering apprenticeship. Austin `7`s were the regular mode of transport for budding engineers then , but this Ulster was a real one and very different to the standard box saloons that were fairly plentiful then.

The engine had a pressure fed crank ( the standard cranks were splash lubricated ) and 2`` diameter big ends. The crankcase and cylinder block were special in that there were two extra studs holding the block. Also a deep cast aluminium sump in place of the ordinary pressed tin sump .

An aircraft quality Scintilla magneto provided the ignition and on the crankcase nearside was a small Cozette supercharger driven from an extra pair of gears on the front of the engine. There was a big Solex carb feeding the blower.and a gravity fuel tank on the scuttle. The dash was fitted up with a Smiths rev counter to match the speedo and supercharger and oil pressure gauges .

The engine drove a special close ratio gearbox with a nice remote gear change through the standard Austin clutch to the regular rear axle . Apart from the flattened springs and lowered front axle, the chassis and cable brakes were as standard Austin `7` . Although the blower was pretty worn, this little car had very real performance for its time and would easily see off any of the post - war cars that were around except for the occasional Jaguar . The cable brakes were a problem and very difficult - actually impossible - to to balance without one wheel locking up and the others not braking at all - very hairy on a wet road if you had to stop in a hurry !.

My Ulster was probably a `catalogued` version of the works blown cars raced so successfully in long distance ( 500 mile ) races at Brooklands by the present Lord March`s grandfather in the early 1930`s - image two guys crammed into that tiny cockpit for 500 miles at racing speeds round the Brooklands circuit and its notorious bumps !. Lord Austin was very keen on the publicity gained by the company`s racing activities, culminating in the fabulous twin cam 750 racers he commissioned in 1936 / 37 .

I often wonder if my Ulster - reg. number YD 506 has survived or whether it got broken up for a donor 750 special . Ulsters are deservidly sought after today - even made up cars . Happy days !

MARK
Mark

No sign of it on the register.

Genuine Ulsters are very scarce and consequently fetch real good money. The mechanically are suprisingly different from the standard cars but only in lots of very small and subtle ways.

Did it also have cast iron clutch linings? Going from memory the blown engines had 1.5inch crank journals. An engine like that would be worth a fortune now.

Tags
west park, wolverhampton