Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > For-Sale Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

For-Sale Adverts Steam items and equipment For Sale.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old Today, 12:07 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Bill Starling
Default 6 ins scale 3 ton Burrell

A half size replica of the smallest engine built by Burrell – their 3 ton ‘Special Light Traction Engine’ of 1897.
It is fully up and running and comes with driving trolley and everything necessary for operation. (Except for standard tool kit spanners etc.)
A new boiler, professionally built, was fitted in 2018. Since then the model has had little use and been kept in a dehumidified workshop. The only water used in the boiler has been condensate from the dehumidifier (with treatment). Current annual certificate (Independent Inspector) lasts until May 2025.
It was built from the general arrangement drawings published in Ronald Clark’s ‘Steam Engine Builders of Norfolk’. A copy of Burrell’s original G A drawing comes with the model.
Vertical boiler – so easy steam raising without a fan or chimney extension.
Prototype had compound engine. Model has two simple cylinders - so easy starting from any crank position.
Two speed with chain drive and Ackerman steering.
The prototype was designed following the 1896 ‘Locomotives on Highways Act’, which allowed one man operation and higher than walking speed for vehicles under 3 tons. After developing it for a few years – as shown by the works drawings, which survive at M.E.R.L. – Burrell abandoned the idea and concentrated on larger engines.
Be different! There are lots of miniature Burrell agricultural engines and road locomotives, built from the excellent kits – but I know of only one other 3 ton model, and that hasn’t appeared in public for some years, as far as I know.

Lots more photos in my album ‘Burrell’s Special Light Traction Engine’.
For more details of both the model and the prototype, send me a Private Message.
Location south Norfolk.
£12,950 o.n.o.