Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > Wanted Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Wanted Adverts Steam items and equipment Wanted.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 7th June 2014, 02:08 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Charlie Gale
Default Vellocette

I am looking for a Vellocette Valiant, only a complete bike considered, preferably a runner. Can anyone oblige or put me in touch with a vendor.

Regards Charlie
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 7th June 2014, 04:21 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Mr Steamy One.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C487452
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th June 2014, 01:02 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Peter Freeman

if i live to 100 years old i will never get into my head why Velocette produced the Valiant.
Velocette made a decent motorcycle that handled pretty good,had decent brakes and above all was quite reliable.The only bug bear on all Velo,s was they were badly let down by poor electrics dam Miller and Wipac equipment which was not much better than oil lights but not as reliable as oil lights.lol.
The Valiant was really a last ditch effort by the company to try to gain some market for smaller machines and after the late fifties to try to steal some market from the Japanese invasion,
the Valiant was vastly overpriced and dreadfully underpowered ,it never really caught on .
How a company like Velocette who produced one of the best looking motorcycles ever the Mark eight KTT could produce something like that escapes me.

http://www.the-blueprints.com/bluepr...mark8-1947.gif
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th June 2014, 07:33 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Bob Allison

Charlie , you might be lucky , but at the cost of being very disappointed . There are much better lightweights around , if that is what you are after .
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th June 2014, 08:18 PM
Engineer

The Valiant is mechanically interesting though.
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th June 2014, 08:35 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Charlie Gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidner View Post
Charlie , you might be lucky , but at the cost of being very disappointed . There are much better lightweights around , if that is what you are after .
I expect any "old" motorcycle would be very diappionting compaired to modern machines, perhaps trying to ivercome the problems would be the challange.

Regards Charlie
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th June 2014, 08:40 PM
Engineer

The Velocette Vogue was even more unsuccessful.

http://www.classic-british-motorcycl...torcycles.html

#8  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th June 2014, 10:18 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Bob Allison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Gale View Post
I expect any "old" motorcycle would be very diappionting compaired to modern machines, perhaps trying to ivercome the problems would be the challange.

Regards Charlie
I would not know Charlie . All my bikes have been old ones , even when I was young , apart from a BMW and a Guzzi which were dated designs when they were new in the nineties .
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th June 2014, 11:08 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Peter Freeman

You cannot compare older motorcycles to the modern ones ,If the major British manufacters i,e Bsa/Norton /Ajs/Matchless and of course Truimph had invested in new models instead of churning out the same old tired models year after year they would probably still be in business.
Per example just about the most succesful bike Bsa ever made was The Gold star either 350cc or 500cc,they were excellent bikes went like the wind .handled well and stopped exceptionally well and reliable.So what did Bsa do in 1962 stop production of that model,The U.S.A market told Bsa unless you continue making the Gold star we are not that interested in taking the other models ,Talk about shoot your self in the foot.
A good 500 Goldie would not disgrace its self even today with other modern 500cc singles ,and its for sure it would go round corners better than the Japanese bikes do .

if you are looking for a lightweight Charlie take a look for atruimph Tiger cub 200cc single nice little bike reliable and for its size goes well.or a 250cc Greeves with a Villiers engine once again a nice enough bike ,In my opnion i would steer clear of royal Enfield crusaders dreadful things ,Bsa c15 not bad and reliable.the Amc 250 singles Ajs/Matchless are ok .
Ariel Arrow is ok .
Of course this is just my opinion its not gospel,
i still have my Db 32 Gold Star heavily modified though inside the engine,God do i have a conversion Yippppppessssssssss heaven forbid