Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > For-Sale Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

For-Sale Adverts Steam items and equipment For Sale.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st February 2010, 05:32 PM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!
Default Traction Engine Head Lamp - Eli Griffiths?

I have this lamp for sale. Though it is unmarked, I believe it is an Eli Griffiths 'BEACON' Traction Engine Head Lamp. Please read on to find out why.

This lamp came to me from a well known Manchester engineman, and one time engine owner. He assures me it came from the stores of Robert Bridson & Co of Neston during the 1970's. He also says that it was reputedly bought to fit on their Burrell Road Loco 3098 (now in Liverpool Museum). Despite looking hard, I've never seen any pictures of it with the lamp fitted, however I have no reason to doubt the story, I do not believe the lamp has seen much, if any use. The gentleman in question has also let me have some parts removed from my engine whilst it was with Bridsons.

The laps stands 19 1/2 inches tall to the top of the handle, the body is 10 inches tall, and 7 by 8 inches in plan. The glass is plain and 6 inches in diameter. The bezel is tinplate.

The lamp is finished in the original Jappaned Black, with some minor paint loss, I don't think there is any rust, if there is it is very minor.

Inside the lamp is considerable apparatus, looking like it is designed to somehow focus the light. The reflector is in perfect order, as are all the lenzes. The reflector has almost a mirror finish. Please see the pictures, it confuzzles me.

The burner holds oil, and until yesterday, I do not believe that it had ever been lit. If it had, it had not been lit many times. The wick has 'had it' because of people turning the handle whilst dry, I managed to get it to the right length but it wants replacing. The light the lamp produced was considerable.

On the side of the lamp is a pocket holding a piece of tinplate, this can be inserted into another pocke to block off the lense. Usually done so that the lamp can double up as a heater in your living van.

The lamp is spring mounted on the rear.

I believe it is an Eli Griffiths 'BEACON', due to the style of the spring mounting fittings, also because of an Eli Griffiths catalogue page. The page in question is included at the end of the pictures.

To my mind this lamp would have been fitted to the chimney base, or perhaps the front axle. To this end would well suit an Antipodean engine where these lamps are the norm.

PM, e-mail to hedd_jones@yahoo.co.uk or phone 07871 577 132 for further details.

Catalogue Page, see bottom.

#2  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st February 2010, 06:12 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Tony Seddon

So being 6" glass, it must be for sale for 44' !