Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st May 2024, 10:46 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Rob Dickinson
Default Fawley Hill and Castle Combe Events

Lots of warm sunshine at both over the weekend but for me at least, little novelty.

https://www.internationalsteam.co.uk.../ukindex24.htm

Thanks to Paul Gilbey and Rod Smith for keeping me on the straight and narrow correcting my mistakes and supplying pictures. Any remaining errors are entirely my responsibility.

Strumpshaw seems to be the only medium/large rally over the bank holiday weekend. We won't be travelling far, just Abergavenny on Sunday and if the weather holds, Eastnor Castle on Monday.
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd May 2024, 08:00 AM
Apprentice

Full Name: Dan Wood

RE Fawley - excellent photos and an apt review - more engines arrived late Friday and more public over the weekend, and although it was quiet, you missed something, it was an excellent birthday bash. The evenings saw engine crews and other exhibitors relaxing around the big top whilst engines were running around and playing till very late. Most importantly, Lady McAlpine seemed to thoroughly enjoy herself and so did all the exhibitors and crews.

Events full of exhibits and public creating that "atmosphere" can easily become 'boiling-water' events with a slow race highlight, it's often more fun (and considerably less costly) to run the engine to a pub and skip them.
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd May 2024, 08:46 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Rob Dickinson

Absolutely, that's the side of a rally that the paying public like me don't experience - and I can't report on because I live some distance away. Without it, no doubt many owners wouldn't participate, attendance money or not. Taking your engine to the pub for a social is great but I suspect that most owners are based in rural areas where the engine density is quite low and the chance to meet up at a rally like this with old friends. some of whom have come quite a way, is 'golden'.

Some years ago, I made a video of a veteran owner roading his Burrell to a rally not far from my home. He was absolutely in his element on the open road and confided in me that it was the best part of the rally by far and he would be glad when it was time to hitch up the trailer, get back on board and return home.

In other words, there is something for everyone. It's such a shame that the vast majority involved are 'grey' and unrepresentative of the population as a whole, a trait which is shared with heritage railways.