Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th August 2024, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Full Name: Russ Bulley
Default Dozens of steam engines roll into Stithians for 69th annual West of England Steam Ral

Steam power has been front and centre this weekend in Stithians with the National Traction Engine Trust keen to preserve and showcase the heritage engines.

Rob Wing is chairman of the National Traction Engine Trust. He said: “Steam took over from the horse and plough.

"Richard Trevithick in Cornwall especially, was the first person to introduce a powered vehicle on the road. So for Cornwall and for the nation, it really is so important.”

Exhibitor Rosemary Wheadon thinks the invention of steam power is still the best ever engineering feat.

Rosemary Wheadon trained as an engineer in 1979 and says she's always had a passion for steam
She said: "Look at the workmanship in it, the men and women who did it in those days, who designed it, made it, they knock us into a cocked hat really.

"It's amazing how they actually managed to get these things designed and built when they did, we think we're clever now, but they were clever back then".

Jago is only nine, but he's already an enthusiast, with his own miniature engine called Puffer.

When asked why he likes Puffer so much, Jago said: "One it's my favourite colour - red. And it just takes my mind off stuff. When I have a problem I’ll think of Puffer.

"It's really calming hearing the sound of it ticking over, its complicated but in a good way."

Organisers believe the turnout to this years event could be the highest yet, they're hoping to put on an even bigger show next year to celebrate their 70th year.
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th August 2024, 09:13 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Steven Gunn

Thinking about it, does this make the West of England Steam Engine Society event the longest running in the road steam world?