View Single Post
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 24th February 2009, 10:01 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Roy Lambeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Procter View Post
Roy
The night shots are excellent, I always try and get night shots when possible myself.
Have you tried a really small aperture and an even longer exposure, I took some night shots in St Marks square Venice a couple of years ago with about a 20 second exposure, it was crowded with moving people at the time, but because of the long exposure they all disappeared and left the scene eerily empty.
It might not work as well with traction engines and fairground rides but may be worth a try.
Have a go at the fireworks display at Pickering with this method, that does work OK.
Phil
I have tried digital, using different exposures/shutter speeds with total failures. With these, I used a tripod and the camera set to automatic. The trouble comes when you have to decide which item you want to be stationary, and which item you want the camera to focus on because the camera uses an automatic time exposure usually between a quarter of a second and one second, hence the need for a good tripod. If you take the right choice, the camera can do a wonderful job, but get it wrong and then everything is blurred simply because my digital camera does not know what to focus on when it is dark.